my bmi is 33.8

(9 Posts)
anyoldname76 Sun 14-Feb-16 09:37:22

i know im overweight, but ive weighed myself this morning and im 11stone 8, im only 4ft10 . my bmi works out at 33.8 and according to the nhs website i need to lose around 4 stone to get in the middle of the healthy weight range.
my problem is as soon as i think that its time to lose weight i go into panic mode and eat anything i can get my hands on.
my biggest hurdle is work, there is always treats flying around the office and its a boring job so i tend to graze all day.
i know ive got to make a change as my bp is high all the time although im not on medication, and i had a minor stroke 3 years ago and a tia 2 years ago.
i feel very overwhelmed at the moment

RunnerOnTheRun Sun 14-Feb-16 16:13:35

Hi there, I am a weight management coach and nutrition advisor. The first thing you need to do is not tell yourself you need to go on a diet! That is EXACTLY why you then want to cram everything in, ready for the "starvation" you are about to put your body through. This is a natural response. You need to come away from all thoughts of dieting and new thoughts of "healthy lifestyle". Stick to unprocessed foods, so lots of fruit and veg, eggs, meat, fish, nuts, plain yoghurt (full fat Greek), nothing and I mean nothing "Low fat" as it contains a chemical shit storm that messes with your hormones and never fills you up. You just need to shop wisely, fill up on the good stuff, plan in treats where they are worth it (birthdays, parties etc) and enjoy them guilt free.

anyoldname76 Sun 14-Feb-16 16:35:20

thank you runner, thats really good advice, im almost 40 and ive got it in my head i dont want to be fat and 40 so im going to make those changes. im also going look for another job where snacking isnt allowed grin

TalkinPeace Sun 14-Feb-16 16:41:26

Treats at the office :
Look at all of your colleagues and ask yourself
did they wash their hands before touching the food
or are you actually ingesting poo crumbs and photocopier toner and car park gack from when they picked up their keys grin

Trust me, you'll never eat in the office again once you've noticed that nice young trainee pick his nose and then waft his hand across the cakes before choosing one wink

RunnerOnTheRun Sun 14-Feb-16 16:41:40

You're welcome. Also tracking on good old paper (buy yourself a new note book!) REALLY helps. No one wants to write down junk, but DO write it all down as in a few months you can look back and see how much you have changed your habits.

TalkinPeace Sun 14-Feb-16 16:44:12

MyFitnessPal is even easier as it adds it up, tracks it, does nutrition analysis
but does not judge
and you can set it on your phone so people will think you are texting rather than tracking your food

anyoldname76 Sun 14-Feb-16 16:48:08

eww talkin that never crossed my mind, there is a customer that comes into work once or twice a week and she brings a bagfull of cakes/chocs, the boss has told her to stop but i think shes a bit lonely, i have a day off tomorrow so a trip up town to buy myself a notebook is on the list.

RunnerOnTheRun Sun 14-Feb-16 16:54:32

I recommend a page a day (A5), date at the top, all food and drinks, at the bottom how you felt if you caved in/why/situation. It's really good to get the whole picture and see if you can sidestep future triggers.

BabyGanoush Mon 15-Feb-16 19:02:15

Find another distraction?

I MN and/or have a cup of tea

Taught myself not to snack or mindlessly eat.

I do eat proper lunch as otherwise not doable! Baked potato, pasta, big bowl of noodlesoup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now