when did everyone start working out after giving birth.

(8 Posts)
Kerrymarie90 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:24:54

Hi

I gave birth 4 weeks ago and want to start working out to lose my baby belly. How long did everyone wait before they started working out? And does it make a difference that I'm Breastfeeding?

Thanks xx

VictoriaButler85 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:29:56

I didn't work out, I just controlled my healthy diet which meant there was less hassle arranging child care and ensued nutrient quality in my breast milk.
If you do want to work out then consider waiting till you have got back into your normal routine as this will provide exercise in itself e.g. returning to work. This will prepare you for the gym when you do start.

BananaPie Sat 30-Jan-16 18:39:04

I started jogging again at 6 weeks, but wasn't aiming to lose weight.

Cerseirys Sat 30-Jan-16 18:42:48

I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes within a week or two but I didn't go back to the gym until DS was about 7-8 weeks, and even then I was only going about twice a week.

Cerseirys Sat 30-Jan-16 18:43:55

Oh, and breastfeeding didn't make a difference. I just bought a pump and got DS used to taking a bottle, so that I didn't have to come rushing back to feed him.

228agreenend Sat 30-Jan-16 18:44:36

When youngest dc's was 12, that's 12 years not 12 weeks!

bittapitta Sat 30-Jan-16 18:59:33

You should always wait until your 6 week check at GP! GP will check your stomach muscles are joining back together properly, and check your stitches if needed. In addition you still have the hormone relaxin in your system (especially if breastfeeding) so your joints are looser and you're more prone to injury eg damaging your knees while running!

Build back up your fitness very gradually. Could you try local postnatal classes eg Pilates, yoga. I agree as well that it is hard to fit in classes/gym in early days so eat sensibly and walk lots with the pram.

Cerseirys Sat 30-Jan-16 19:14:57

Do wait til after your 6 week checkup, but how active were you before giving birth OP? That will also play a part in how soon you can start exercising again. And do you have a partner or family who'd be able to look after your DC while you exercise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now