Talk

Advanced search

Not very fashionable, but I need a crash diet

(26 Posts)
sky1010 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:54:10

I over-indulged over Christmas, but have gone back to normal eating- which for me is low carb 'lite' (I have a slice of rye bread a few times a week, 2 chocolate biscuits with tea on weekend mornings and still drink wine when I go out on Fridays). I don't weigh myself and just go by how my clothes fit and just see avoiding grains and starchy stuff as a lifestyle choice.

I was tagged in some pictures from yesterday and holy fuck my face looks chunky and puffy. I have the beginning shadows of a double chin- all as a result of diving head first the quality street over xmas.

Usually I'd shrug it off as 'oh well I have enjoyed myself it will come off' but DP has booked a weekend away for us in three weeks time as a surprise.

I do not want to have a fat face in the photos. We have not been away together in years as we were poor students, and now we are saving for a house so it will be the first time in a while sad

Can anyone give me some advice on what I can do to shift half a stone or there abouts in the next few weeks?

I know for a start I am drinking too little water so I will sort that out.

OP’s posts: |
sky1010 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:43:29

Anyone

pootlebug Sun 10-Jan-16 16:44:49

Proper low carb - like on the Bootcamp threads. You'll lose half a stone in 3 weeks.

FatRun Sun 10-Jan-16 16:45:47

VLCDs like Cambridge or LighterLife get weight off very quickly. Would only ever use as short term thing though.

ProfYaffle Sun 10-Jan-16 16:46:32

Agree with Pootle, do hardcore low carb. Though I'd suggest actually counting carbs to be sure you're going low enough seeing as you're under time pressure.

sky1010 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:47:01

Is bootcamp under 20g of carbs?

NewBallsPlease00 Sun 10-Jan-16 16:52:57

Low carb combined with 5:2

AuntieStella Sun 10-Jan-16 17:12:16

Try this thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weight_loss_chat/2157682-How-can-I-lose-10lbs-before-my-holiday-on-er-Monday

mrsmeerkat Sun 10-Jan-16 17:16:10

Butting in...

What would a typical low carb day look like?

Omelette; salmon and veg type of thing?

ProfYaffle Sun 10-Jan-16 17:54:10

On bootcamp you don't count carbs. Personally though I find I have to count carbs to effectively lose weight, I aim for under 20g

sky1010 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:14:06

Some good ideas thank you

I have been practicing camera angles in the mirror to try and make my doughy face seem shapely

cathyandclaire Mon 11-Jan-16 15:54:46

On low carb the puffy face will go really quickly, within a week if you're strict.
It does tend to reappear if you have loads of carby crap though < voice of bitter experience with 'carb face' >

PoptartPoptart Mon 11-Jan-16 17:02:22

VLCD diets such as Slim & Save, Exante or Shake that Weight will get you quick results. You could potentially lose a stone in 3 weeks. You can buy online, no need for meetings or weekly weigh ins. Agree with the poster above though, i'd only use it for a quick fix.

mercifulTehlu Mon 11-Jan-16 17:12:57

I am on a very low fat diet because I have gallstones. I know low fat isn't fashionable atm but I lost about a stone in 3 weeks, and that was while still having sugar, bread, pasta, booze... Low carb works too, but I find it much harder to stick to!

dynevoran Mon 11-Jan-16 17:18:46

I have just lost that amount in 2 weeks. Lots of kale and barenaked noodles with fish and veg. Sticking around 1000 every day.

I have a long way to go but was always slim before ds1 pregnancy and got back there this way between pregnancies so I know it works for me to lose weight fast but is also enough to safely sustain myself in the meantime. I'm only 5 foot 1 and used to have only around 1500 a day to sustain 8 stone 7 so whilst it seems v low it's actually not crazy for me.

ShitFacedTinyTim Mon 11-Jan-16 17:42:36

It's quite hard work but Dukan is an absolute miracle if you can stick to it - I started on Monday, had 2 days off on weds & thurs, and have already lost 7lb....

sky1010 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:54:14

Thank you ladies. I am following one of the grapefruit diets, but am swapping the meals around as I am a weirdo and can eat meat and veg at 7am, and prefer to have a lighter tea.

Today:
B:

Chicken breast (deck of cards portion)
Spinach
Grilled tomatoes

L:
Half a grapefruit
Coffee

D:
Rye bread (one slice)
2 eggs

I have also made sure I have drank 2 litres plus coffee with stevia. I don't feel hungry.

sky1010 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:56:14

It's not bootcamp/low carb but I have come in at under 20g today.

sky1010 Sat 16-Jan-16 15:18:28

Hey ladies, just checking in to say that I have lost 4.5 pounds since last Sunday smile

My goal of half a stone by the end of the month definitely seems achievable!

Mrsjamesbond911 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:25:47

im struggling, tried the gastricband app, been low carb for years, but peri menopausal and im a stone above where i should be.

sky1010 Sun 17-Jan-16 12:29:39

Half a pound down today.

That's a shame MrsJamesBond. I'm probably not the best person to advise you though.

Have you been doing the low carb bootcamp? One is starting tomorrow I think. There is a topic for it.

Something that helps me though if I stall is:

-Making sure I drink 2 litres of water a day. Weight doesn't shift if I don't.

-Weight training as the gym to give myself more of a 'shape' rather than focusing on the scales. I am a stone over what I should be even on a 'good' weight day, but I have a flat tummy and strong legs and glutes.

TyrannosaurusBex Wed 20-Jan-16 08:00:57

MrsJB, I'm peri too and have been struggling to lose my surplus stone and a half. I did the 1 week egg diet (just google it) and took off 10lbs. I repeated it twice more over a 6 week period and got back into pretty good shape.

NickiFury Wed 20-Jan-16 09:24:23

I'm going to try that diet tyrannosaurus. Starting tomorrow for one week.

Anyone want to join me? smile

sky1010 Wed 20-Jan-16 19:42:25

Nicki, I am basically doing a modified version of that.

I have grapefruit and an egg for breakfast, with a piece of toast or rye bread, some fruit at lunch and for dinner eggs scrambled with butter and veggies. I had tandoori chicken on Saturday though from the Indian. grin

I am 6 pounds down now!

sky1010 Wed 20-Jan-16 19:43:06

My goal was only half a stone, but I am aiming for ten by next week now.

Am looking a bit more gaunt of face as well!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in