Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about 'good' soya! And smoothie recipes, please.

(4 Posts)
Draylon Fri 08-Jan-16 13:26:30

What I mean is- I have been looking at some smoothie recipes containing soy milk, but am also reading that 'soy' as found on most supermarket shelves is considered bad for you as it's been processed to death.

As a complete newbie to this, can anyone tell what I should be looking for in a soy product, like soy milk?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 08-Jan-16 13:29:47

Concerns about soy are probably very overblown, but if you are concerned, products made with young beans (Edamame) or fermented beans (tofu/tempeh) are believed to be "safe".

Could you use a nut milk instead? they're much nicer

Draylon Fri 08-Jan-16 14:24:53

OK, please tell me about nut milks! Do you have to watch out for added sugars or anything?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 08-Jan-16 14:34:42

Some are sweetened, some aren't, the same as soy milk. Of course there is also also rice, coconut, and oatmilks if you are avoiding dairy. They are usually fortified, and may have stabilisers/thickeners/oil etc in them. Remember cows milk has a lot of sugar in too.

Different brands of the same type of milk will taste different, as well as different types of milk obviously. In a smoothie i t probably doesn't matter too much as will be quite masked by the flavours of the smoothie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now