Anyone tried the sirtfood diet?

(301 Posts)
Miloarmadillo1 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:59:34

www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article4647459.ece

OP’s posts: |
88Adrian88 Tue 16-Jun-20 16:24:52

88Adrian88

Hi everyone

I see a lot of you are interested in the sirtfood diet but haven't got the time or energy to proper it.

The is a catering buisness that offer this diet already prepared delivered to your door.

www.fabbox.co.uk

Go on their website and have a look

88Adrian88 Tue 16-Jun-20 13:56:34

Hi everyone

I see a lot of you are interested in the sirtfood diet but haven't got the time or energy to proper it.

The is a catering buisness that offer this diet already prepared delivered to your door.

www.fabbox.co.uk

Go on their website and have a look.

SleepFreeZone Sat 18-Aug-18 21:00:05

Thought I’d bump this as I started the diet two days ago and absolutely love it! I’m hardly ever hungry and think the portion sizes are great.

As I’m only on day two I can’t say anything about the weight loss yet but I’m really hopeful. So far I’ve made the green tea chicken and the chickpea and butternut squash meal and both were gorgeous.

loveyouradvice Sun 14-Aug-16 18:34:49

Now 5 months into Sirtdiet and it's becoming a way of life for DH and me - we LOVE the food and both feel very very healthy on it.... the best I've ever felt while losing weight. I have followed other posters recommendations however and when I really want to lose I'm aiming for 800-1000 calories (i.e. Michael Mosley Blood Sugar Diet levels) with low carbs i.e. minimal buckwheat but lots of veggies, beans, protein.... and have cruised along quite often at 1200/1400 level eating extra berries and dark chocolate, still losing but more slowly. Overall I've lost 2 stone 4 lbs - and I'm perimenopausal - and this included death of a parent when I ate for England and weight soared by 20 lbs in 2 weeks, and a couple of holidays when I wasn't very rigorous.... So I'm a huge fan, and know that this is going to influence how we eat from now on. DH who doesn't need to lose weight just eats loads at each meal, and supplements it with Deliciously Ella recipes .... so we are aware we're becoming a bit eccentric in our eating but feel fab so don't mind... especially since it removes the guilt of eating the odd slice of Coffee Walnut cake....on the 80:20 principle (well more like 90:10 for us).

JaneSmall Wed 15-Jun-16 14:33:16

My husband and I have been doing the Sirt Food diet for a couple of weeks. I needed to lose weight after injury - I'm still in a plaster after a ligament operation. My husband had lost a stone and a half with healthy eating and exercise. He had just a little more to lose and joined me on the diet. My husband lost 7lbs in the first week and I lost 5lb (no exercise!) We followed it strictly and it has been easy and tasty. I will keep more sirt foods in out diet when we have reached our goals.

H3l3naGraham Mon 06-Jun-16 17:03:00

Hi greencat - I empathise with you on the disgusting smell of the SIRT juice, it got so bad I couldn't swallow it either & I also didn't lose much. I swapped to the Blood Sugar Diet & have lost 2st, no silly ingredients, no hours cleaning the kitchen after the juicer explodes, no rank, stinking green slime, just normal, unprocessed food ( but is v low carb, 50g a day), but best you get the MIchael Mosley book and look at their website too.

I am on the MM BSD site & the MN one, very different & both hugely helpful. Good luck with the weightloss plans.

Greencat123 Wed 25-May-16 11:07:41

Just joining this discussion. I'm at the end of day 1 of week 2 and overall I have lost HALF A POUND. To be honest I'm feeling really fed up. The diet was a huge amount of trouble - there's no way I would have been able to do it without having time off work - and also, quite expensive by the time you've tracked down some of the more obscure ingredients. And I was extremely hungry for most of the first week, especially days 1-3. Maybe I have actually lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle... but it doesn't feel like it. My only deviation was to drink 2 not 3 juices a day - I just couldn't get the required amount down. It tasted like the contents of the lawnmover (with the contents of the rabbit hutch added in.) Has anyone got a comforting explanation? Is it worth continuing?

Greencat123 Wed 25-May-16 08:40:48

Just joining this discussion. I'm at the end of day 1 of week 2 and overall I have lost HALF A POUND. To be honest I'm feeling really fed up. The diet was a huge amount of trouble - there's no way I would have been able to do it without having time off work - and also, quite expensive by the time you've tracked down some of the more obscure ingredients. And I was extremely hungry for most of the first week, especially days 1-3. Maybe I have actually lost 10 pounds of fat and gained 9 pounds of muscle... but it doesn't feel like it. My only deviation was to drink 2 not 3 juices a day - I just couldn't get the required amount down. It tasted like the contents of the lawnmover (with the contents of the rabbit hutch added in.) Has anyone got a comforting explanation? Is it worth continuing?

H3l3naGraham Mon 11-Apr-16 11:18:30

Hi Love - yep, the NutMIlkBag thing is a life-saver, I ended up buying 2 after the 1st once developed. A sheen of fine mould..... YEUCH! That was despite washing it thoroughly, (or so I thought) every time I used it.
Men have a habit of doing this don't they?! I am now on BSD (easier to do - impossible to make Sirt-Juice when travelling around) & got DH on it too, he is now shedding weight faster than a snake sheds skins....

The 2 diets aren't totally compatible, Sirt has high carb (albeit complex) in the buckwheat, but the healthy principles are good in both & I still manage Sirt Juice twice a week for breakfast. BSDers aim for a max of 50g of complex carbs a day whilst dieting, but with careful planning, the Mediterranean style principles of BSD & the lots of veggies type principles of Sirt can be combined.

Good luck with your efforts, I am seriously overweight too & am also one of those people who loses weight slowly.

Make sure you get some exercise every day & drink lots of water too, you will pee like a cart-horse, but it helps with headaches, toxins, kidneys & the like.

loveyouradvice Sat 09-Apr-16 15:09:28

Hi all... now on Day 5 of Sirtfood Diet and going well... Found all the tips on here really useful - especially the nutmilk bag to strain my NutriBullet green sludge. Actually love the strained juice .. a pfaff to make but love its fresh clean flavour.

DH who is NOT overweight annoyed me like hell by losing 7lbs in first TWO days! I've lost 4-5 lbs in 5 days... and am seriously overweight.

Like others Im going to combine with 5:2 once I'm through the first three weeks.... and taking your advice, I'm going to eat less than they recommend for weeks 2 and 3. And just ordered Blood Sugar diet to see what's helpful there.

Love to know how others are doing! xx

H3l3naGraham Tue 05-Apr-16 18:32:38

Ah yes, the kale & rocket shower....... Been there....... Soaked t shirt in bleach twice & finally removed the evidence.......

wink

Good luck with the stubborn bits, mine is my tum, but it is going, just returned a size 16 frock I ordered for a big do in October, fitted me perfectly, but I am still losing so I have swapped it for a 14, would never have dreamt I could lose weight like this & feel OK whilst doing it, the dress figure hugs & hey, I actually look OK in it, not 20 months pregnant.......!!!

cakebaker Tue 05-Apr-16 17:36:33

Hi yumyumpoppycat and H3l3naGraham well done to both of you ! And thanks for the tips which have spurred me on.

Yumy - you're right I can still incorporate other sirt foods - just rest from the kale smile thanks for the recipe ideas.Definitely don't want to develop a goiter!!!

I'm going to give the BSD a go to try and shift these last few pounds. After reading your comment about "old and stubborn fat", I'm visualising wrinkly fat cells clinging on to my thighs for dear life! shock I really only have a few pounds to go now so hopefully the BSD will give my metabolism the kick it needs. And also give me a welcome break from kale juice (made the mistake of juicing in my (not so much now) pristine white dressing gown sad

H3l3naGraham - Great to hear about all the positive feedback you're getting. I've been getting lots of comments too about how in shape I'm looking too grin

H3l3naGraham Tue 29-Mar-16 12:10:30

Hello cakebaker - my weight loss on BSD is distorted - at the start of any diet people shed a lot of water, I lost my 'water-load' on Sirt, took me forever to do it for some reason, I was way behind everyone else. But once I had peed for Britain, then I started to burn fat, I'd say my weekly weightloss is now virtually the same as SIRT, but I feel happier on BSD, I couldn't keep up with the juicing all the time & got to loathe the smell of it. I am now just about able to juice 3 times a week without gagging. In 10 weeks I have lost 20lbs, an average of 2lbs a week, not as much as some other people but we are all different in how we process food, our hormones, age etc, the change in my body shape is now really visible. I didn't announce my diet to anyone, but people are now commenting about how much I am shape-shifting and despite a couple of indiscretions on the food & drink front, I am keeping it off.

As yumyumpoppycat rightly says, all diets plateau, so why don't you try BSD, see how it works for you & then make a judgement call on how to adapt the 2 diets? At 800 calories a day, you aren't going to put on weight & if you are exercising too, you might well up your weightloss. As Dr M says, the last bit is the hardest, it's the oldest, most stubborn fat & it's essential to give your metabolism a kick up the bum, BSD might well do this for you.

yumyumpoppycat Sun 27-Mar-16 17:21:28

Well done on no easter eggs - wish I could say the same, as for dphe ate an entire mint lindt bar and several G&Ts and is lying in bed now feeling awful!

yumyumpoppycat Sun 27-Mar-16 17:19:31

Cake why not cut out deliberately sirting to have a break from kale while you get started then reintroduce it more pointedly if/when you get to a BSD plateau? A lot of the stuff will be helpful anyway for BSD (strawberries and blueberries are good in greek yog, turmeric and shallots can be added to eggs, baby spinach is really useful, no calories in green tea etc). I have lost about 24 lbs on 9 weeks of bsd, possibly losing a wee bit more when I add this sort of food in. If you are feeling sick of ingredients it's prob a good idea to listen to your body and cut them out for a bit anyway - people who are really into green smoothies rotate through greens like spinach and kale as too much is thought to be 'goitogenic' or something.

cakebaker Sun 27-Mar-16 12:22:20

* can't decide
My brain is obviously being affected by the presence of Easter eggs in the house....none for me though halo tbusad

cakebaker Sun 27-Mar-16 12:20:03

Hi SaarahA I'm using Bloom brand from Ocado too. It is expensive but lasts a long time

H3l3naGraham I got the BSD book yesterday.Can't decide whether to mix and match with sirt - giving up the lethal dates of course!! wink - or whether to try BSD straight. Sirt has worked really well for me but I'm getting a bit bored of kale on a daily basis! Some of the recipes in the BSD book look really yummy.
How much weight did you lose in the first couple of weeks on the BSD?

H3l3naGraham Fri 25-Mar-16 09:37:56

Hi SaarahA - the maximum strength, pure Matcha powder is the best one to go for, I have been using the Bloom brand, from Ocado. It's possibly the most expensive part of the diet, good thing a little goes a long way..........as long as you get the 100% powder I'm sure it doesn't matter which one you buy.

Good luck with the diet!

SaarahA Fri 25-Mar-16 05:20:11

Hi guys,
Just getting started with the Sirt and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the green tea matcha? there's many options available on amazon uk but don't know which one to choose...
any recommendations appreciated, thanks!

H3l3naGraham Thu 24-Mar-16 17:49:20

sorry cakebaker brain all over the place today for some reason, ...... All the long-termers on BSD say they have lost their craving for sugar & simple carbohydrates........

Not Complex. Complex = good..........DUH!

blush

H3l3naGraham Thu 24-Mar-16 16:13:57

Hi cakebaker - Once DH came back from extensive travels abroad it became that much harder to SIRT, when I was on my own I could more or less do what I liked..... We also go to a lot of formal things together in London and there is no way I can make compost-liquid in a hotel room...... BSD has been relatively easy to follow, no hunger pangs and a wide range of foods to eat from, I can do this & still eat out eg salmon on a bed of lentils, chicken with ratatouille or similar.

The other thing was, I simply couldn't face the smell of that Sirt juice every day, I am managing it about 3 times a week now for breakfast & that's my lot. We have always eaten a lot of veggies so that part of Sirt is 'safe'.

I reckon you will give your metabolism an extra kick if you do BSD, particularly as a lot of SIRT 'approved' foods are high carb ie buckwheat.......and the sugar in a couple of dates is equivalent to 2 large punnets of strawberries, they have to go......

My weight loss is now working out at about 2lbs a week, which I think is sustainable & has allowed for a couple of nites on the wine...... But my body shape is altering visibly, double chins are vanishing, legs slimming down, tummy shrinking. If I could kick-start my lazy backside into some proper exercise (Have paid in advance for aqua-aerobics as motivation..... ) I would have lost more.

The whole thing with BSD is to look at your lifestyle, address bad-eating issues & hopefully ward off what might be a threat in the future if you are carb/sugar addicted. All the long-termers on BSD say they have lost their craving for sugar & complex carbs, the postings on the forum are quite remarkable. Sugar is hidden in so many foods, eg prawns, pre-cooked chicken, yoghurt that we don't actually realise what we are eating. Then we have pasta.....

Good luck with the 7lbs cakebaker I am sure that having come so far you will get there!

cakebaker Thu 24-Mar-16 15:33:47

Hello there H3l3naGraham! So do you feel that the BSdiet is working better for you than the sirt? I was thinking of trying it just to boost things and lose the last 7lbs that I want to as quickly as possible. How much did you lose in the first couple of weeks?
And dates are sugar bombs shock...no wonder I like them. Have they got to go? sad

H3l3naGraham Mon 21-Mar-16 17:42:51

Hello all, thought I'd take a look in even though I am 80% BSDiet now, I am still doing SIRT juice for breakfast 4 times a week instead of a BSD breakfast, because for reasons perhaps best known to my nose, the smell of the juice is possibly so revolting, it puts me off eating anything else for a good while....It is also vitamin-packed & low in calorie

xxrosaxx - I knew I needed to shift some serious weight, caused very possibly by my predilection for large quantities of wine, so I started to cut back booze in advance of the diet in December, before going relatively cold turkey in January when I started SIRT properly. I am now down to consuming more modest amounts twice a week, helped by DH, who decided he needed to shift weight too, so has been dry-ish with me.

I never managed 3 juices a day, as mentioned above by cakebaker the gag reflex was too strong, I ended up on 2 meals & 2 juices for the majority of the time I was on it and even though my weight loss was much slower than I wanted to begin with I did lose 1st and have kept it off (am still losing on BSD). I was pretty strict, in that if I ate off plan, I cut back a lot the next day & like many others did reduce the portion sizes of many recipes, notably the ENORMOUS muesli. I was probably pure SIRT for 5 days a week if I am being honest & then semi-SIRT at weekends. I also dropped the dates having discovered that they are sugar-bombs, swapping for prunes, which also helped with the loo-issues I experienced.

I have dropped 2 dress sizes and my shape has changed around my middle, thank heavens for that.

I have discovered red kale, it is easier on the palate than raw, juiced green kale & whereas my local shops struggle with many of the ingredients, the greengrocer does stock this variant , which I'd never heard of before!

xxrosaxx Sat 19-Mar-16 19:12:21

Thanks for your comments. Today I had coffee with cream, one juice and half a turkey sandwich. It actually settled my stomach. Going to have another shake now and then off to the city for dinner which means anything goes.

cakebaker Sat 19-Mar-16 18:39:54

Hi yumyumpoppycat. Yes still losing weight, although more slowly now. I only want to lose about another 7 pounds - and thats to give me a bit off a "cake buffer" for when I feel like indulging grin cake. In terms of routine, after the initial week I've loosely stuck to 2 juices a day & 2 sirt meals (although sometimes split one of the meals and have half at lunchtime & half for dinner). I found that when I tried the 3 meals & 1 juice a day maintenance suggested in the book was too much food - I reckon my stomach/appetite must have shrunk!
I stuck pretty rigidly to the diet for the first month (and lost about 15lbs) then after that I've found that I've been able to accommodate eating out sometimes etc. without putting on weight if I stick to the diet the rest of the week. My only problem now is that I've taken to the 85% chocolate with a passion - 2 squares is not enough!
xxrosaxx - I had this problem too in the first week,which was a bit of a shock as not a problem I normally have! I agree with yumyumpoppycat - up the water intake - good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in