Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop binge eating chocolate and cake in 2016?

(4 Posts)
paul63209 Sat 26-Dec-15 19:43:31

I am an overweight 23 year old male.

I have a problem with binge eating chocolate, cake, sweets etc. (anything nice). I don't need to go on a special diet I just need to stop the binging.

I know it's bad and I really need and want to stop. My new years resolution for 2015 was 'no more binge eating'. I have failed miserably!

The problem is I can't be strict with myself. Every time I do it I say to myself 'this is the last time'. After that I sometimes go as long as 1-2 weeks eating sensibly but I always slip into my old ways again because I am tempted and I love it so much.

I live with my mum and my sister so I can't control all the food that comes in and out of the house. Besides I often buy chocolate from the shop down the road.

I'm like an alcoholic I can't have just 1 biscuit a day because once I start I can't stop. I have to remove all surgery things from my diet altogether.

How can I be strict with myself in 2016?

Thank you.

JenoftheAbbeySchool Sat 26-Dec-15 20:43:33

Hello Paul
This is not really my tip because I read it somewhere else but it seemed quite sensible to me. Don't cut out chocolate but buy small quantities of a good dark chocolate such as Green and Blacks. It is rich so a little should satisfy you more. Just go with it if you don't like the taste much at first. When you are used to a little of the good stuff you will find the cheaper brands don't taste as good as you thought. Also you can melt a few squares of dark choc and dip fruit in it.

Tell yourself you are not allowed in the shop down the road. Go shopping with your Mum or sister so you have another pair of eyes on what you buy. And keep busy.

Good on you on wanting to change and I'm sure this next year will be your year!

raisin3cookies Sat 26-Dec-15 20:50:50

I consider myself a sugar addict, and I don't say the word addict lightly. I compare myself to an alcoholic, who can't have "just one." I have to abstain wholly and completely from all refined sugars (beware, refined sugar has about 70 different names!) in order to live a normal life. I used to eat sugary food-like substances regularly throughout the day and into the night, 7 x week. There was no such thing as only a little slice or just one scoop.

I had tried to quit sugar before, but never lasted more than a few months, tops. Every time I thought I had it under control, I would eat something tempting, and very quickly backslide into my previous behaviours (usually worse than ever).

This time, the biggest help for me has been daily meditation. I meditate every single day, without fail, and it has helped me overcome my addictive behaviours, my stress levels are much lower, I think more clearly, I'm happier, the list goes on and on.

Additionally, since quitting sugar my health has improved dramatically. I am really close to graduating the c25k programme (woop woop!), I have strength and vitality I haven't had in years and years, and I've dropped nearly 5 dress sizes. I look good and I feel even better. smile

Sugar is addictive for many people, and is toxic to the human body. I would encourage you to google Dr Lustig and check out his YouTube videos. He has a great book, Fat Chance: The Hidden Truth About Sugar, Obesity and Disease.

Good luck in 2016!

VulcanWoman Sat 26-Dec-15 21:24:27

I agree with raisin regarding meditating. And doing some research on sugar, there's another documentary about "the men who made us fat". Made me quite angry watching these, about just how manipulated we have been over the years regarding food and advertising. Don't fund these companies was a good motivator for me. Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now