Talk

Advanced search

Slimming World vs Rosemary Conley diet

(12 Posts)
MontyYouTerribleCunt Sun 13-Dec-15 21:42:33

Hi

I was all set to start SW this week but have just read an article which says Rosemary Conley is much better in terms of learning about how to eat long term. I have heard from a few people that SW isn't so good for this as it doesn't really help with portion sizes etc.

Has anyone done Rosemary Conley? How did you find it?

calzone Sun 13-Dec-15 21:44:22

I have lost 40lbs with SW and cannot recommend it enough.

Portion sizes.....I am just sensible and would prefer to be sensible than having to weigh everything.

MontyYouTerribleCunt Sun 13-Dec-15 22:03:40

Thanks cal. I' expectations read a little bit more and think I'll try SW as planned and see how I get on.

MrsWembley Sun 13-Dec-15 22:35:51

3&1/2 stone here with SW - the whole point is not worrying about portion size, just concentrating on content.

Lots of healthy fruit and veg with other foods in the right proportion. You get used to what fills you up and then you go from there.

CalmYoBadSelf Sun 13-Dec-15 22:51:55

I tried the Rosemary Conley diet twice in the 90s when it was the "in thing". I had to stop because I became ill both times

Also the idea that fat is the enemy of good health has largely been discredited now so I think SW is the better option personally

MontyYouTerribleCunt Mon 14-Dec-15 10:11:45

Thanks all. That's reassuring. smile

helenahandbag Mon 14-Dec-15 10:13:50

Also the idea that fat is the enemy of good health has largely been discredited now so I think SW is the better option personally

But SW is all about Muller Lights, Frylight and extra lean meat. You're penalised heavily for using full fat dairy, olive oil and things like avocado. I liked the idea of SW but in practice it wasn't for me. I hated being told that I could have unlimited Muller Lights full of crap but a bit of avocado was half of my syns.

MontyYouTerribleCunt Mon 14-Dec-15 12:53:56

That's a good point helena, though I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and probably wouldn't eat an awful lot of avocado if trying to lose (unless I was low carbing I guess). I think olive oil is fairly low syn though (compared to cake or whatever), so would still be getting healthy fats.

I don't know THAT much about SW but was planning to only do it short term, it's so expensive. Is that what most people do, or is it something you're meant to keep up long term?

It's tricky because I know I should be learning healthy eating habits and not just going all guns blazing to lose a few lbs and then going back to bad habits later... That's what made me wonder about the whole limitless pasta, rice etc. Somehow doesn't seem right long term?

helenahandbag Mon 14-Dec-15 13:51:04

It's meant to be a plan for life, really. It's the same as any plan in that you'll lose weight on it but you'll gain it back if you go back to old habits.

There's no reason to cut out avocado when losing weight, it's very good for you and full of the "right" calories. It's probably better for you than more sugary options like grapes.

My colleague has dropped three dress sizes on SW in the past 18 months but she admits that she'll need to use SW as a guide forever or she'll gain it all back.

MontyYouTerribleCunt Mon 14-Dec-15 14:19:43

Hmmmm that's not great news. There's no way I'd be doing it for life! Have found something on another thread on here called No S diet. Might give that a whirl as it sounds easily doable for life.

I don't have huge amounts to lose (my bmi is maybe 25 and a little bit), so, on reflection, I wonder if I should probably be focusing less on weight loss and more on healthy eating.

Thanks for input. MN is so helpful for this sort of thing!

Buttwing Mon 14-Dec-15 14:29:51

I've lost 3 stone and 9lbs with slimming world but it is for life. It's a healthy eating plan not a quick fix diet if you go back to your old ways after any diet/healthy eating plan you will put on weight. It took me a long time to get my head round that. It's by far the easiest method to lose weight ime it's just common sense. You don't have to eat the muller lights and chemical spray oils you can swap them for full fat options if that what you want to do but you just have smaller amounts. Nothing is off limits but food that will make you put on weight is portion controlled. In essence it is all about unlimited healthy food-lean meat, fish, fruit, veg, pasta, rice and potatoes and smaller portions of the "naughty" stuff.

But yes it really pisses me off that avocados are synned but then again it pisse me off that wine and chocolate are too!

MontyYouTerribleCunt Mon 14-Dec-15 14:37:53

Thanks Buttwing. That's useful. I just don't think I have the discipline to count syns every time I put olive oil in a pan for the rest of my days.

I'm pretty sure it's not olive oil or other healthy homemade meals I make that have made me gain weight can't blame my pregnancy either as DD's almost one. It's all the rubbishy snack foods I eat in between that I think are the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now