Talk

Advanced search

pregnant and so down about weight

(11 Posts)
Dumdiddlydum Thu 19-Nov-15 09:38:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ickythumpsmum Fri 20-Nov-15 18:19:19

Hi, I've had 3 DC.

Before DS1 I was super slim, at my ideal weight and I was back to my ideal weight within 2-3 months. I didhave to eexercise 3 times a week and didn't eat after my dinner every day, but other than that it was easy.

DS2 - I was a stone over weight before the pregnancy. I lost the babyweight quickly again, but was sstill a stone overweight. Then I quickly got pregnant with DD1.

DD1- a stone over weight before I got pregnant, now 5 weeks after the birth I am 1 1/2 stones overweight. I went for a run today - first time in a long time. I was terrible and could feel my belly wobbling. Im desperate to eat a big bag of maltesers tonight but trying hard not to.
Its not easy but the weight can and will be lost!

itsmeohlord Fri 20-Nov-15 18:24:04

You lose it one pound at a time - the journey begins with a single step. Break the weight loss down into manageable goals. My sister tells me Slimming World is very good....

1.5lbs a week and you would do it in less than a year.

reallywittyname Fri 20-Nov-15 19:28:34

Hello

I am you two months ago. I have a 5mo dd and 4 stone to lose. I've already lost 16lbs but couldn't get motivated till dd was 3mo. It will come off, you might be lucky in that breastfeeding helps, but be kind to yourself, your body is doing something amazing growing a baby!

I am low carbing, drinking 3l of water a day and using feeding times to think about how far I've come and how far I need to go, it really helps to strengthen my resolve in those times instead of starting at another box set (although there's nothing wrong with that). Also meal planning and having things I can grab from the fridge when baby won't let me put her down grin. I also have a toddler to chase after! However I did Hoover up Dairy Milk like there was no tomorrow for three months after dd arrived, simply because I was ravenous while my supply got established (and also because, you know, I just had a baby grin), something I don't recommend because it's such a hard habit to break. But I did it, so you can too, just make sure your head is in the right place or it'll be a false start.

Enjoy your pregnancy and don't beat yourself up about your weight.
flowers

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 20-Nov-15 19:40:39

Mine took 11 years to shift. I did have three DC in that time (7 pregnancies in total) so spent a lot of time pregnant, not pregnant and comfort eating, eating extra because i was breastfeeding so the pounds didn't fall off! My youngest was three before i decided to tackle things.

I lost a lot more control than you and now finally i'm in control, 5 stone down and healthy weight for height (just) but ideally would like to loose another 7-14 lb to be mid healthy bmi range rather than top of it.

Slimming world worked for me. We have a few pregnant ladies at our group and lots of cuddly new babies and lively toddlers running around at my group. The plan works well for some, me included. It works for me because i can cook for the family without weighing things. I can eat big filling portions, theres a big range of can eat foods and nothing is forbidden - you just need to make choices between which treat things to have when the indulgence hits.

talkinnpeace Sun 22-Nov-15 16:33:59

While you are pregnant, concentrate on making every meal be "nutrient rich" - lots of veg and fruit and fish and dairy
so that you and the baby are as healthy as possible
and to get you into healthy eating habits
then when you've had the baby you can reduce your portion sizes
but stick to the healthy stuff
and the weight will shift

cut out sugar
cut out snacking
drink more water

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Mon 23-Nov-15 22:49:26

Well give yourself some credit, only putting on 20lbs during a pregnancy is pretty good, and within the recommended guidelines for someone starting a pregnancy overweight!

You can start exercising now, even when pregnant. In fact, it's recommended to exercise during pregnancy.

Obviously we're not talking about training for an iron man here, but going out for walks which leave you out of breath, or even doing some pregnancy workouts on youtube at home.

It will help you at least start to get into the habit of doing regular exercise, and providing you watch your food intake, will help a little in excess weight gain (though I stress here you won't be able to work out hard enough to burn many calories so don't rely on it for that).

Additionally, you may well find that it really helps to lift your mood, and you sound quite low at the moment.

What you can't do is make no changes and expect a different result - if you have been overweight for a long time, then obviously you will need to make some quite significant lifestyle changes in order to see a difference in the long term. This is totally do-able, but you have to actually be prepared to do it, iyswim

Good luck!

Dumdiddlydum Tue 24-Nov-15 08:44:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Athrawes Tue 24-Nov-15 09:05:14

And don't forget that you are growing a whole human!

redstrawberries101 Sat 28-Nov-15 16:19:14

Hi! How far along are you? Similarly worrying about my weight. Only just 6 weeks expecting and feel like my body has ballooned already. I was JUST within my healthy weight range. I had health issues a few years ago and was on some strong medication painkillers which made me pile on the weight and I've just not been able to shift it since.

Snowdog37 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:07:50

I'm not pregnant (yet! Hoping to fall soon!) but I weigh 220lbs and am desperate not to be so big during pregnancy. I'm hoping to lose weight while ttc and hopefully if I'm successful I won't pile on the pounds during pregnancy. It's really tough to lose weight now I'm in my late 30s. Really wish I dealt with it long ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now