Talk

Advanced search

I need to lose weight - zero will power!

(26 Posts)
Itsdone Thu 22-Oct-15 21:21:18

I need to lose about two stone.

Because I'm tall no one really notices I'm over weight but I am and I need to shed the excess.

I just can't set my mind to it and end up eating shite.

Help!

Nancery Thu 22-Oct-15 22:00:37

Tedious isn't it! My problem is wine, as it's a drink it dies t feel like it's making me heavier.
Would weighing yourself semi regularly help? I used to be dead against it but it's very encouraging seeing the numbers go down. Also, try and fit in as much exercise as you can, if nothing else it's damage limitation!!

StandoutMop Thu 22-Oct-15 22:04:18

I have no will power either. The day I decide to diet I suddenly get twice as hungry and crave chocolate.

I am trying the 5:2 as I can manage to plan for a day, and stick to it for a day. Am also running again, but have joined a club so am meeting people and gave a set time to go.

3 weeks in, 5 pounds down. So not dramatic, but weight is finally heading down not up.

LittleFeileFooFoo Thu 22-Oct-15 22:06:21

I have negative 6 will power. As soon as I start trying, I eat to much, saying I just worked out so can splurge.

Itsdone Thu 22-Oct-15 22:13:39

Ugh going to have to start getting active again...

Winstonsma Fri 23-Oct-15 06:23:17

Me too, zero willpower. My newborn now 13 weeks and everytime I think I really need to start eating healthier/a bit less it sends me off the rails even more. I had 6 custard creams yesterday blush and cake blushand two cans of coke as well as normal healthy food. Ebf but wtf - why can't I get my bum in gear?!
Do you have a clear goal? Maybe that'll help us all?

MamaLizard Sat 24-Oct-15 16:11:43

Wine is my weakness (and cheese, and chocolate, and eating the kids' leftovers...) so I'm trying to be totally cold turkey about these things; I can't just 'enjoy a little of everything in moderation'.my willpower is slightly better if I have a plan such as making breakfast (eg overnight oats) the night before and if I have bought some healthy snacking options (and have nothing tempting in stock). Chewing gum while cooking dinner and squirting washing liquid onto leftovers immediately are other ways I'm trying to curb my absent-minded snacking habits...

Itsdone Sat 24-Oct-15 16:13:07

Love those tips!

Buttercup27 Sat 24-Oct-15 16:16:39

I am the queen of no will power, but in 18 months have lost 3 st here's my secret. .. don't buy crap.
If it's not in the cupboards, I can't ear it.
I also clear the kids plate straight into the bin after they've eaten (or else I eat it) and when I get peckish bored in the evening I walk the dog rather than snack.
I also stopped carrying change with me as I would spend it on chocolate.

anythingicando Sat 24-Oct-15 16:28:41

DS is 6 months old and here is the one and only thing I have done since he was about 8/9 weeks old. I have lost a stone and a half and am still eating things like chocolate, crisps etc alongside a normal balanced diet.

After my evening meal, I stop eating. That's it, no more food til morning. Normally eat dinner between 5 and 6 o clock. I will have water or tea during the evening.

I can't believe how easy it is, the weight is literally dropping off. We went away for a week last month and I ate ice cream every day, pizza, burgers, lots of wine, sweets etc. When I got home I expected to have put on a couple of pounds but I had still lost weight! (Just over a pound)

I got this tip from a mumsnetter and I wish I could remember where so I could say thank you! I know it won't work for everyone but it's totally working for me! My pre pregnancy jeans are now starting to feel baggy - 3 months ago I didn't think there was a hope in hell of getting into them!!

Itsdone Sat 24-Oct-15 16:33:59

Ooh wow!!! I think I can do that.

Except for the wine confused

Luciferbox Sat 24-Oct-15 16:36:11

Are you me?

spankhurst Sat 24-Oct-15 16:43:21

Eat your last meal of the day by 6:30 and don't eat after.

No snacks, none at all, but eat 3 decent healthy meals a day.

MamaLizard Sat 24-Oct-15 16:47:39

Wow anythingicando that's amazing! Well done smile To be honest, I had a similar experience after my dd: I was breastfeeding and just eating cake sitting on the sofa! The weight just dropped off so easily.
This time not so much! I don't eat anything after dinner, and rarely have any sort of dessert (not even fruit as I'm just not hungry) but we do eat quite late (7-8) as that's when dh gets home... Maybe I should try earlier dinner? Also trying carb free at dinner time (which is killing me as I lurrrve pasta!)

peppansalt Sat 24-Oct-15 17:51:43

Wine is my downfall confused.

Can't believe losing weight is as easy as not eating a after 6pm?!

Itsdone Sat 24-Oct-15 17:59:18

It is a long old stretch though isn't it. 6pm until 7am - it is like a fast.

And generally I don't think people scoff in the day as they have other things to get on with.

Deffo going to try this - just not tonight grin

MarvinKMooney Sun 25-Oct-15 10:08:00

I agree with a previous poster: don't buy shite! grin

Over the past four months, I've lost a stone and a half. I've tried to lose a bit of weight in the past, but this is the first time I've actually succeeded.

This is what I did differently this time:

I didn't buy shite (and repeat ... )

I ditched the toast and breakfast and sandwiches at lunch, and so reduced the butter too.

For breakfast, I have weetabix and fruit, or greek yoghurt (I like fat free Total) with fruit. The yoghurt in particular is really filling - I was quite surprised at that.

For lunch i have a jacket potato from the cafe at work, or I make up some couscous and have it with chopped salad and chicken, tuna or some feta. Again, I'm usually really full afterwards.

Basically, I make sure I don't feel deprived. I cook meals with loads of herbs and spices, with big salads, roasted veg, etc, but never with fat or oil. Our meals honestly don't look like diet food at all!

I found it REALLY difficult to give up the wine but after a week or so, I just didn't notice more. I still have wine, but only at weekends, and I've had my fill after a glass or so. I've turned into a very cheap date! grin

I use MFP to log everything and, I guess, I'm using a lot of the principles from Slimming World in terms of low fat / high protein eating. There are lots of blogs out there with really good recipes - I just don't use the syns system.

TwoTonTessie Sun 25-Oct-15 10:25:29

I stopped eating bread and rubbish and joined a local SW group. Knowing that I get weighed every week keeps me on the straight and narrow and I have made some new friends too. Previously, my willpower was zero but I've now lost 2 and a half stone since July smile

Itsdone Sun 25-Oct-15 14:01:34

Well done TwoTon - I am well jealous!

How would people on here feel about a no eating after 5pm club? We could chat in desperate times!

It's my birthday in two weeks and want to look nice!

Varya Sun 25-Oct-15 14:03:07

Zero willpower

Trills Sun 25-Oct-15 14:14:19

The only way to lose weight sees to be to STOP HAVING FUN.

Sigh.

Itsdone Sun 25-Oct-15 14:29:40

It's true Trills. If I've ever managed it in the past for a few days it's been so grim.

MarvinKMooney Sun 25-Oct-15 17:39:33

My dh has a long commute everyday and we rarely have our evening meal before 8pm.

I'll have some fruit or something when the kids have their meal around 6 ish but otherwise eating later hasn't been particularly weight-inducing. I think it's more down to what you eat.

FumL Mon 26-Oct-15 13:09:12

i was fat........ gigantic even! but then i discovered that a balanced diet does not mean weighing out cakes it means not eating junk food!!!!! i never knew thins until i came to England and started weight watchers.
they really helped me to discover my true potential. i am now a part time fitness instructor. i now run marathons in real life, not just on netflix.

rosemarymackey Tue 27-Oct-15 05:37:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now