Talk

Advanced search

Eating Less by Gillian Riley

(7 Posts)
StrawberryLeaf Fri 25-Sep-15 07:47:58

Has anyone read Eating Less by Gillian Riley? I'm almost finished reading it and finding it enlightening. I've consistently over eaten all my adult life and dieted and regained weight since about 13 years old. I feel like this book was written for me!

She gives strategies on how to stop this cycle and build self esteem and use tools to curb over eating, called Times and Plans.

I wondered if anyone had been able to successfully use these skills long term? smile

OP’s posts: |
pippistrelle Sun 27-Sep-15 09:13:41

I haven't read it, StrawberryLeaf, but I've lost a bit of weight recently and I'm now trying to create some strategies to keep it off, so I'll give this a look. Thank you for mentioning it.

StrawberryLeaf Mon 28-Sep-15 07:29:38

Well done on your weight loss, have a look at the reviews of the book on Amazon, they are very good.

Seems not many people on here have read it though!

OP’s posts: |
Goingtobeawesome Mon 28-Sep-15 07:37:33

I have been trying to lose weight for about three years. I have been in the scales and have gone from 14 2 to 11 3 (did the 5/2) and are now 12 6. I've been 12 3 - 12 5 for weeks.

I now hate myself. Feel weak for not being able to stop myself eating at times while fighting against childhood demons relating to food.

I don't know where to start.

Breakfast - nothing or toast.
Lunch - salad and chicken, sandwich, soup, pasta salad, macaroni cheese.
Dinner - lots of different things, always with veg.

My eating is all over the place. I don't feel hungry at meal times and then miss a meal if busy and have gone past the point of hunger but in the evening sometimes I will eat crisps when not hungry. Though last night I planned Doritos, said I could as an early tea so okay to be now hungry, but I wasn't hungry knew it was emotional and I didn't eat them.

This morning I weighed myself and now I'm fed up.

pippistrelle Mon 28-Sep-15 10:01:17

Thanks Strawberry.

Goingtobeawesome - a couple of things helped me keep on keeping on. One was reading a lot about diet and nutrition, hence my interest in the book that Strawberry mentioned. A book that I found useful for getting my head in the zone more days than not was The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a traditional diet book but more a CBT manual for people wanting to get eating under control.

Second was support on the "Needing to lose 4+ stones" thread. I joined there when I'd already lost a couple of stones myself. The people there are empathetic, wise and funny. And welcoming.

Good luck.

Goingtobeawesome Mon 28-Sep-15 13:09:10

Thank you pippistrelle. I'm tucking into America ranch salad with two leftover sausages. So half good half bad. Dinner will be fish, rice and veg.

FinallyHere Wed 29-Apr-20 09:02:49

Following

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in