WLS / bariatric surgery....has anyone here had it ?

(4 Posts)
Shinyshoes2 Wed 09-Sep-15 15:50:21

I've been referred for Bariatric surgery by my GP
I had my appointment last Monday with the bariatric surgeon who suggested I go with the Roux En Y gastric bypass , but I need to liver shrink by 10% ( 2 stones ) before I have the surgery.
I don't get the confirmation as to wether or not I'm a successful candidate for another 6-8 weeks ....I started yesterday trying to drop the 2 stone in preparation. .... Just in case
Has anyone here had the sleeve / bypass / band ??

johnthepong Thu 10-Sep-15 20:43:26

I had a sleeve 5 years ago, lost 11 stones. Have put back on 7 stones. I am now going for the full duodenal switch which is what I wanted in the first place but they wouldn't do it. Where are you going?

Shinyshoes2 Thu 10-Sep-15 22:39:30

Homerton University Hospital London
Why do you think the sleeve failed for you ?
I'm still trying to read up on it all , they're mostly success stories and the average weight loss is around 8 stone a year on average.
I wanted the Gastric Band originally but because I'm type 2 diabetic the surgeon thought the Bypass would be better for me.
She mentioned that if I go on the operating table and for whatever reason they can't do the bypass then I've signed a consent form to say I'll have the sleeve

StarJumpAlertTakeCover Sun 13-Sep-15 04:43:45

I have had a gastric bypass...this week!!
Currently recovering at home.
Weight loss is greater and more permanent with the RY bypass than either band or sleeve, that's why I chose it.
There is a lot of stuff on the Internet, most of it from the states.
Read this
nbsr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Extract_from_the_NBSR_2014_Report.pdf

Anyhow I'm a bit sore but glad it's over! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now