Talk

Advanced search

Help with losing a bit of weight

(4 Posts)
namechange4this123 Sun 09-Aug-15 09:54:52

So my weight seems to be creeping up and up at the moment, and today it finally hit 9st 2lb. This may not seem like a lot, at only 5 foot tall it almost puts me in the overweight category according to BMI of 24.8 (which I know is not all that accurate, but I see it as a general guide for trying to stay in a healthy weight range).

I think I eat medium healthy, but I could do a bit better:
Cereal for breakfast
Homemade packed lunch (usually sandwiches/salad) during the week, and similar at weekends, sometimes eggs or pasta
Dinner tends to be home cooked, usually meat or fish with potatoes/rice/ pasta and vegetables
I do snack on chocolate too much, and this is one of my targets to cut down on. Fortunately I've recently started a new job which has free fruit bowls lying around, so that should help.
I also am trying to cut out on fruit juice, which I drink a lot, and stick to water.

I am very unfit, and up until recently, I haven't been exercising much at all, but am now commuting to work by public transport and walking approx 45 mins per day, plus I am trying to go out at lunchtimes for a 15 minute walk, which brings it up to an hour a day. I can't afford a gym membership.

I'd like to lose approx 1lb a week, which sounds like a sensible amount, and ideally get down to about 8 stone in about 4 months, which to me seems a reasonable target.

However according to most calorie calculators I had looked at, I would only be able to consume about 1100 calories per day. This seems a difficult target, and most calorie counter apps e.g. myfitnesspal (which I have used before) will not let you eat under 1200 anyway. How can I lose weight healthily and at a reasonable rate, and how many calories should I be eating?

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Sun 09-Aug-15 10:05:51

1100 seems low to me. I lost 5 stone doing a combination of 5:2 and mfp consuming 1200 cals a day on my non fasting days. I dont know if that's counted as a healthy way to lose, I just know that it worked well for me.

namechange4this123 Sun 09-Aug-15 11:11:34

It is low. I suppose I could eat 1200 a day, and just accept it will take a bit longer to shift the weight (maybe 5 months instead of 4). Ideally I wanted to lose it in 3 months, but the calorie allowance was so low (about 1000 calories) it just doesn't seem possible.

Maybe I am setting the bar too high. In trying to ultimately get down to 8 stone (a loss of 16 lb), when I currently weigh 9 stone 2lb (128lb), is actually attempting to lose 12.5% of my body weight, and maybe this is too much to lose in 4 months.

I'm not a big fan of the 5:2 and other fasting diets. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I've never tried it, but I just don't feel I could go a whole day with so little food and be able to function normally.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Sun 09-Aug-15 11:43:36

I think if you stuck to about 1200 a day even without any fasting you will lose the weight easily in that time frame. I lost the 5 stone in about 6 months (which I know is faster than would be recomended)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now