Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opposing comments on weight loas

(11 Posts)
SaintEyning Tue 04-Aug-15 16:20:22

Not a stealth boast, please don't think I am trying to show off. I've been training for a sporting event for the past 12 weeks and as a result have lost almost 2 stone, which was not a goal but seems to have been a by product of eating better, not drinking and training hard six days a week (from previous no exercise, lots of booze and a very unhealthy diet). I have had two types of comment - well three, but one is my mother so I can discount that!!

1. Work colleagues (four at last count, all women), saying I have lost too much weight and need to eat. I have been eating like a horse but the training is so intensive that I feel I can't physically get more food in - particularly as I need to build muscle (long distance race) and am eating protein rich foods so getting full quickly. I will carb load a week before the race. I am 55kg and 5'7" so I realise at the low end but still in a healthy bmi. I'm still a size 10 with 32dd boobs and a tummy. (Apple shape).

2. My partner and a couple of friends have on the other hand said they can't see any difference in me and wouldn't know I had lost any weight. I am thinner, even I can see that. The scales aren't broken! Maybe it's because they have seen me this size before that they don't see the change. Overall my body shape is the same, which may be the key to how they see me (in civvies, not work clothes like the other group).

3. My mum who hasn't seen me in 10 months (she lives overseas) has said I look great now I have lost so much weight - which is v nice but also chimes with her "you're really going to wear a bikini?" when on holiday with her after having DS... Mothers, eh?!

So should I care? I know once I stop training and start eating more carbs and drinking booze that I will put weight on - but I want to be good and hope to keep training a bit as well as eat sensibly and drink in moderation. Feels nicer overall to feel happy about my appearance - but how can I look both too thin and the same size at the same time??!! My worry is that one or both of the sets of people are trying to mess with my head about my training and eating, but I can't imagine for what purpose - surely a healthy and fit me who is happy is a good thing?

mmmuffins Tue 04-Aug-15 16:55:57

Some people just don't notice your body has changed. I lost 25kg one year. Some people commented on the loss, some commented a lot. Some people never mentioned it at all; I don't know if they just didn't notice or weren't comfortable enough to say anything. I never brought weight into the conversation of my own accord.

My weight stabilized but even a year later I was still getting asked if I had lost more weight. I think comments were largely influenced by how I looked in certain clothing.

Anyway, point is, other people's opinions on your weight are useless grin

SaintEyning Tue 04-Aug-15 17:49:45

This is true! Thanks! I am happy and congrats on the 25kg - that is fantastic.

flanjabelle Tue 04-Aug-15 17:53:53

I have lost nearly 40lbs, and am at a healthy Weight. I no longer get compliments from family, they have all started to say 'oh, you won't lose too much will you' etc etc and telling me how bad I will look if I get 'too skinny'. I'm a size 12, 5 foot 6 and 9 stone 13, hardly skin and bone!! I feel your pain.

SlayZ Thu 06-Aug-15 06:38:35

It must be disappointing that your husband hasn't really noticed. Obviously you haven't done it for him but it would be an added bonus if he gave you a few 'wow, you look amazing' comments.

Ignore them all. I imagine you feel great from all the healthy living and exercise. Just wanted to say congratulations really.

SaintEyning Fri 07-Aug-15 11:43:15

Thank you. I suspect part of it is him feeling like he's not making a similar effort and in fact has stopped his own exercise and drinking less/eating less project. I'm cool with that - thank you for your kind words though!

popcornpaws Sun 09-Aug-15 20:25:24

Oh god, where to start?
Okay, I've lost just over 7 stone through counting calories and using a food diary, I know i look different, i am now a size 12, was a 22-24 before.

Comments range (i wish people would stop going on and on and on about it though)
So, i am wasting away, obsessed, need a good meal, far too thin, look gaunt, don't look like myself anymore... (GOOD)
Others haven't mentioned it, but mostly people ask how i done it, Im bored with listening to it all, and i never mention it first so its not like I'm encouraging questions.
As long as your happy and feel better i wouldn't dwell on anything others say to you.

SaintEyning Sun 09-Aug-15 22:02:36

Seven stone!! Amazing! Congratulations! It is so weird. But let's just be happy and ignore all weird and wonderful comments!

fanciesdefrancais Fri 14-Aug-15 21:00:10

I've dropped 55lb this year and now about your weight (8st 8lb ish). Not intentional either - combo of stress/business/lack of appetite. Someone will mention my weight each and every day, at least once. Sometimes amazingly OTT positive (you look fantastic, fancie!), sometimes negative (you look ill, fancie) and sometimes neutral (you're tiny, fancie). I kind of wish they'd all shut up tbh. Until no-one mentions it. Then I feel disappointed.

It's easy to be bonkers about weight.

Good luck for your event - just focus on that!

PoppyShakespeare Sat 15-Aug-15 13:39:35

People are actually mad, a couple have said to me recently 'oh no you've lost more weight' when no, fuck off, I'm almost 10kg heavier than I was a few months ago. That's approaching 2 stone, hardly something I can hide in jodhs or running shorts!

Mummybare Sat 15-Aug-15 14:00:06

Congratulations OP, well done you <applaudes>

I'm rubbish at noticing when people have lost weight. I usually just get a sort of 'ooh, she looks well' type general feeling. And even if I do notice, I'm unlikely to say anything because I find it a bit awkward unless they bring it up.

(Oh, and are you sure you're a 32DD? I'm the same height as you and a stone or two heavier and I'm a 30. Sorry if you've already seen the MN bra ladies, but just thought I'd mention it... wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now