Talk

Advanced search

GP weight loss advice

(5 Posts)
piechuck Mon 03-Aug-15 21:23:49

Has anyone ever gone to their GP and asked for help losing weight?

I'm just wondering what help they can actually give. I'm v aware of what I need to do to lose weight, and currently v motivated through MFP, but worrying about if/when the motivation drops off, what then?

Emz449 Tue 04-Aug-15 20:53:53

It wasn't my GP, but when i went for my pill check the nurse basically said i needed to lose weight or i wouldn't be able to continue with the contraception i was currently on. I was directed to this website www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx and told that if that didn't work then a referral to weight watchers or slimming world could be given. To be honest i was so embarrassed that my weight had reached that point it spurred me into action and i'm 3 stone lighter smile

piechuck Wed 05-Aug-15 10:45:00

Thanks Emz, I can imagine that would be enough of a kick to do something, wonder if the GP has anything else to add to 'advice'? (I suppose I'm thinking drugs, or feeding clinics - that kind of thing)

Emz449 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:10:19

I suppose it would depend on your need really, how long you've been dieting for, if it's been successful and how much you have to lose etc.

I started a thread called 'MFP to lose weight' and there are a fair few of us who are on there posting daily updates of how we're getting on. Feel free to come and join us, everyone has their ups and downs but I find it very motivational and supportive so you would be more than welcome smile

Ishtar2410 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:16:29

About 15 years ago I asked for help and was referred to the nurse, who weighed me and gave advice on a healthy diet. It wasn't very successful, but perhaps I didn't want to lose weight as much as I thought.

Depending on where you live, your GP can offer vouchers for Weight Watchers or Slimming World - there are quite a few people with NHS referrals at the WW meeting I go to.

Might be worth asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now