Talk

Advanced search

fitbit and mfp calories. Does it work?

(3 Posts)
mrswhiskers Sat 01-Aug-15 19:02:28

I bought a fitbit one yesterday and have synced with my fitness pal.
today it has given me almost 400 extra calories so far on top of my 2000 TDEE just for walking 9000 steps. can this be right just for doing day to day activity?
is the 400 calories on top of my BMR (1350) or TDEE?

Has anyone successfully lost weight going by the activity on fitbit? it seems quite generous.

CharleyDavidson Sat 01-Aug-15 19:11:56

This is one of the things I really dislike about mfp.

MFP grabs a number of steps from fitbit at a random time, sometimes in the morning. It then assumes you are going to use as many steps per hour for the rest of the day as you have already earned, and gives you that number of calories for the day.

Then, if you are less active than it expects, it takes back those cals at the end of the day. You can set it to allow negative adjustment, but I can't remember what the difference is. For me, being busier at work and then wanting to relax in the afternoon it wasn't very good as many days I wouldn't have earned as many as they had estimated.

MFP is rather generous with all exercise cals earned and the general advice seems to be only use half of any cals it says you have earned or not eat them at all.

I'm much preferring nutracheck for that reason. It does things in a completely different way.

mrswhiskers Mon 03-Aug-15 08:13:42

After a couple of days with the fit bit I think it is pretty accurate as it's saying I'm burning around 2100 calories a day which is what I get on most TDEE calculators for an active lifestyle.
I'm not sure why it adds 300/400 calories a day to my 2000 allowance on mfp but I'm not eating them back so I'm going to go with it for a few weeks and see what happens.
I do think the exercise calculator on fitbit is a lot more accurate than mfp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now