Talk

Advanced search

Is c25k too ambitious?

(13 Posts)
Poppy84b Tue 28-Jul-15 23:14:18

I'm 16 stone, five foot two so need to lose around half my bodyweight confused.

I don't do any exercise and my diet is crap.

My problem is that I don't feel fat, I think I look alright in the mirror but when I catch sight of a photo of myself I've sometimes ended up in tears.

I think I need to do something drastic. WW and slimming world are really hard for me to follow because I often have to eat at funny times due to shift work.

I'm wondering is C25k is too ambitious for someone who finds walking up two flights of stairs really, really hard?

EachPeachPearPlum83 Wed 29-Jul-15 09:41:49

I'm a similar weight to you and have decided (again!) that I need to do something about my weight. I started C25k on Monday and have just finished my 2nd run this morning.

It is pretty tough and it took a lot of mind over matter to finish the runs! I also think it'll take me a lot longer to get to 5k than the 9 weeks the app says though!

Poppy84b Wed 29-Jul-15 10:29:36

I'm going to start my first run on Monday as in travelling this week and didn't pack any trainers. I wonder if 12 weeks might be more attainable?

HelenF35 Wed 29-Jul-15 11:14:16

Nope, when I started c25k I was 15st 12 and could only run about two steps. I got down to 10st 7 and could run 10k in 52 mins before I got pregnant. If you stick at it you can do it. It's hard for a start but is very rewarding. Good luck grin

BornToFolk Wed 29-Jul-15 11:33:26

It took me a year to complete c25k! grin
This was mostly because I found it really hard to find the time to do more than 2 runs a week but most weeks it was usually only 1. Then I stalled around week 4 and spent several weeks doing the same run. Then it was winter...grin
But I got there in the end. Even if you don't do it exactly to the schedule in the app, it's still worth doing, IMHO.

LeCynic Wed 29-Jul-15 11:37:58

Good luck with the running - no reason why you shouldn't do it

Remember though that weight loss is only 20% exercise but 80% the food that you eat. Will you be making changes in that area too?

cece Wed 29-Jul-15 11:45:46

I think it is possible. When I started C25K I was 15 and half stone. I found it hard so be warned but if you stick with it it is possible. Furthest I have run now is 10 miles. The programme allows you to keep on a week till you crack it so you can just keep repeating a week till you feel ready to move on. I did a few weeks twice just but finished it eventually. Then there was no stopping me. However, I would say for the weight loss you will need to do something about your eating, for me it was cutting out snacks and only eating 3 meals a day.

Poppy84b Wed 29-Jul-15 12:12:44

I'm planning to cut out snacking, reducing carbs and possibly switching to black coffee. I'm sure the 3 or 4 lattes I'm guzzling a day are not helping!

shrimpyturn Thu 30-Jul-15 11:02:02

I think if you visit your GP first and are very vigilante about your body and pay attention to any pains you should be fine.

I started c25k at 13 stone, got 4 weeks in, ended up injuring myself because of flat feet and can't run anymore now. If your'e trying to lose weight, counting calories accurately is far more important than exercise.

SmillasSenseOfSnow Fri 31-Jul-15 15:58:46

I started c25k at 13 stone, got 4 weeks in, ended up injuring myself because of flat feet and can't run anymore now. If your'e trying to lose weight, counting calories accurately is far more important than exercise.

I agree that calorie counting is absolutely the most important thing.

I have the flattest feet ever and had a couple of injuries impeding my progress with C25K two years back - if you aren't wearing trainers especially designed for 'pronators', perhaps with an extra lovely shop-bought insole inside (the ones I got were really great), it'll take ages for your ligaments and stuff to stretch out enough for you not to hurt yourself when running. Are you really unable to slowly get back into it? It was very frustrating for me and I felt at times that I wouldn't be able to do it without getting injured, but rest days and frequent use of ice are both great for speeding recovery and minimising injury.

Iggi999 Fri 31-Jul-15 16:01:42

I would also suggest a Fitbit - even if you don't run you can walk and record steps (and calories) using it. A good way to really make the link between energy in/out.

delphi13 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:09:43

I think it's completely doable. I was about 15.5 stone when I did a 5k. When I first started I couldn't run longer than 20 secs in one go. I built it up and included a bit of cycling. The cycling really made a difference and I managed my 5k. I then gave up everything apart from cycling to work (which was really close) and stayed big until 2012 when i started weight watchers. I didn't go to classes as I didn't have the time but just did used the app to count points so it shouldn't matter about shift times. I use myfitnesspal now because I can't afford weight watchers at the mo. I then decided that I was going to become a runner. My 5k was more waddled than anything else so I didn't really believe I could do it but in order to make myself try I entered myself into a number of events for charity to raise money for still births as a result of my sisters loss. I told everyone about it and asked for sponsorship and then I felt I couldn't get out of it. That year I lost 6 stone and ran 5 half marathons and cycled 3 x 80+ mile rides.
I won't lie, I've had a baby since and had some personal stuff which I used as an excuse to stuff myself so I've got to start from scratch again. I've kick started by doing the 30 day shred to gain some strength and stamina before I start to try and run again. I'm on day 3 and very achey but starting to feel positive that I can do this again.

delphi13 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:14:46

PS - My sister has just done the c25k and is a similar weight. She did very well at it. She had never run in her life before that, apart from at school where she was famed at being rubbish at sport. I say go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now