Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone here actually managed to go cold turkey on sugar and actually keep up with it?

(17 Posts)
cloudsandrain Sun 19-Jul-15 08:40:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ikeafurnitureassemblychampions Sun 19-Jul-15 08:43:12

I've done it before. The first few days I felt a bit rough. After that I never looked back.

Have been considering dropping it again though. Want to try it together?

bangingthedrums Sun 19-Jul-15 08:47:01

I would like to try this too.

HolgerDanske Sun 19-Jul-15 08:49:13

Yes I've done it and kept it up for ages. Lost three stone in three months as well, which was a very nice side effect. But I cut out all refined carbs and got most of my carb intake from vegetables.

Very rough for about three days while your body and mind go through withdrawals, then it gets a lot easier.

Crutchlow35 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:49:38

Me. The first 6 months of the year until the school holidays started 3 weeks ago. We have had a wedding, birthday party, our own holiday and coming up is another wedding and a few BBQs. I can say I am enjoying eating what I am now and I feel bloated. Ready to cut the crap out again once summer is over.

It is hard to start with but when I was doing it I didn't crave anything. 3 meals a day and that was it.

Aussiemum78 Sun 19-Jul-15 08:56:22

I'm trying a different approach. I'm not cutting out anything.

I'm adding - vegetables and fruit to every meal, every snack. And 5-6 glasses of water a day. Every single meal has 2-3 serves of something fresh. I'm finding it is really working as I'm not forbidding myself anything, but because I'm eating so much fibre and water I'm not feeling hungry at all.

the natural effect of trying to eat more veggies is I've cut way back on carbs, meat, sugar. Water has helped cut back on coffee and snacks. Nothing is off limits though.

Dowser Sun 19-Jul-15 09:32:55

Depends what you mean by going cold turkey. For 3 months I've had no chocolate or sweets, gluten free cake or biscuits or yogurts

So that's cold turkey for me. I've had an apple most days and the occasional g and t. I have veg with most meals.

I don't get cravings as such but I often look wistfully at cake in tea rooms.

I've lost a shed load of weight. I really want to say those words. I haven't and I don't know why.

I could lose ten pounds and be trim again.

Amserhaf Sun 19-Jul-15 11:09:58

If you can see yourself doing it for life with occasional lapses for the best cake/chocolate ever then it will work but if you see it as something to just lose weight from then usually once you start eating the off limit foods you will gain again and quickly too. It can set you up for binging.

HolgerDanske Sun 19-Jul-15 11:27:14

Yes that is very true. It's a lifelong change of eating habits and health wise it's very important to do it properly - if you are eating no sugar/low carbs you need to eat lots and lots of fat, for example, so if you cheat you will make things worse for yourself by eating high fat and high carbs which is what gets people into trouble with health and weight to begin with.

popcornpaws Sun 19-Jul-15 14:00:38

I gave up sugar, sweets, crisps, cakes and biscuits a year ago.
I decided to give myself a year of eating 1400cals and see where i ended up after the 12 month.
With the exception of xmas day and birthdays i have stuck to it, and could never go back to the bad eating habits i had.
Its easy, and i now look back and wonder why i ever thought i was enjoying eating all that rubbish!

Amserhaf Sun 19-Jul-15 20:24:59

Holger I think I would have to disagree on the "fat" point. I don't agree with adding extra fat to foods that wouldn't normally have it. If it comes with food for example chicken and skin, avocado, nuts, pork and crackling etc then that's natural but adding extra fat doesn't sit right with me and seems as bad as low fat eating whereby you eat processed sugary food instead of fat. I don't eat dairy either. That's just me though.

HolgerDanske Sun 19-Jul-15 21:50:47

Each to their own smile

MarchelineWhatNot Mon 20-Jul-15 09:52:35

Yep, I did this. It was a few years ago and I did not have any sugar from 1 Jan until August. I lost so much weight. Not sure how much, but I was a fatty on 1 Jan and slim and in a mini skirt by August.

The first few days were difficult, but then the cravings went away. Before this, I could happily eat 2 packets of biscuits. Now, even after a few years, I do not have a sweet tooth.

cloudsandrain Mon 20-Jul-15 10:19:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarchelineWhatNot Mon 20-Jul-15 10:22:06

cloudsandrain, I just said a similar thing to a poster on another thread grin.

It's just another addiction. I also used to smoke but gave it up. I don't crave cigarettes anymore, in the same way that I don't crave sugar.

Crutchlow35 Mon 20-Jul-15 11:57:55

No, I fully intend going back As I feel so much better and not bloated.

I've just relaxed at the moment because of the sheer volume of stuff we have on over the summer and, for example at a recent wedding, there was no choice in meal. Soup, roast beef and cheesecake. All delicious but not really what I want to eat again day to day.

I haven't gone back to my old ways and can't imagine doing so. I used to eat all sorts of shit like a full multi bag of crisps in one sitting! I did enjoy a fish supper from the chippy the other night although couldn't eat it all. Portion control has been a huge part for me.

HolgerDanske Mon 20-Jul-15 12:34:08

Nah it's easy enough to do. Your body adapts pretty quickly. My falling off the wagon here and there is to do with the fact that sugar and carbs are my automatic coping mechanism in times of great stress. Eating well is easy enough most of the time and I feel a miliion times better for it but there are times when my demons get the better of me and a little slip is made. Not the end of the world, I just get back on it when I feel ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now