Talk

Advanced search

Metformin for Weight Loss

(5 Posts)
itsonlysubterfuge Wed 15-Jul-15 15:51:43

I tried to lose some weight for about 4 weeks and got no weight loss, except when I had two days of diarrhoea, where I lost 7 pounds, but gained 2 pounds back when I started eating again. I went to the GP and he prescribed Metformin for me. I do not have diabetes or PCOS or any other conditions, so it was prescribed only for weight loss.

Has anyone else been prescribed this for weight loss only?

I am eating around 1000 -1200 calories a day. I never go over 1500. This is why I went to the doctor in the first place as I thought it was odd there was no weight loss with that amount of calories. I have lost weight with calorie restriction before and maintained my weight for years, without exercise.

Rutele Thu 16-Jul-15 21:54:03

Be careful with metformin as it will destroy your liver. I had metformin not only it didn't help me loose weight. I got pregnant 3 months after taking it :D metformin doubles your ovulation :D

lemonstartree Thu 16-Jul-15 23:41:01

It's not licensed for this indication. Meteor in works by increasing the sensitivity of receptors so that you uptake more glucose from your blood. Unless you are proven to be insulin resistant there is no evidence whatsoever that this will be helpful. I am a HCP with a special interest in diabetes and in my opinion your GP is at best misinformed, and at worst ignorant and potentially causing you harm.

lemonstartree Thu 16-Jul-15 23:41:52

Metformin not meteor - sorry

AnyoneForTennis Fri 17-Jul-15 09:15:09

why no exercise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now