Talk

Advanced search

reality check. ready to accept help now!

(6 Posts)
fizzychuck89 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:52:39

I've had 2 babies close together, the last one 6 months ago. I'm 5"7, 16 stone and a size 18/20.
I haven't always been big, I was once slim, toned, mindful of what I ate and exercised. Mr. fizzy found a picture of me from 7 years ago and my friend put a photo on Fb of me yesterday, and honestly it looks like present me are past me!

I've done weight watchers, slimming world, atkins, slim fast, not eating at all and shit loads of others. I need to lose 5 stone, but I want to do it properly. has anyone got any tips or ways to help me? I start off really well then my will power just breaks. have also given up smoking 3 days ago. hubby says to just "eat less and go to the gym". but it's easy for him to say that as he's never struggled with his weight and doesn't know how down it can make you. especially as a woman.
Please tell me someone out there has lost a lot of weight in a normal healthy way and that it can be done?! hmm

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Mon 13-Jul-15 22:52:35

hubby says to just "eat less and go to the gym". but it's easy for him to say that as he's never struggled with his weight

Grrr! It's hard for people who haven't been there to understand. I can quite easily give up alcohol because I dont need it but it's not like you can just stop eating when you have a bad relationship with food - you have to relearn all kinds of behaviour.

I'm on the journey now - I'm losing a weight slowly and steadily - about half a stone a month. I'm happy with that as I think it will be more sustainable, minimise saggy skin and also I can still enjoy myself.

What's helped?
In the first couple of weeks, going cold turkey & tracking everything I are (i won't lie, the first two weeks were bloody awful, but I got through themand it's got a lot easier).

I didnt search for the reason why. It was enough for me to recognise I had a messed up idea of what a normal diet was and I probably had inherited some unhealthy ideas from my mum. A lot of people need the reason why but I've been ok with just acknowledging there's an issue.

Get inspired - read blogs/reddit/tumblr for weight loss transformations.

I liked SW but fell off the wagon too easily when I didn't plan ahead. Now I'm doing a loose version - low fat, low cal balanced diet. I've still been going out for meals (usually 2 a week).

Alcohol and Pringles are my downfall. I bloat & crave bad things with alcohol. Pringles have no off switch.

Other than that, nothing is banned as such.

I've set interim targets rather than absolute goals. 2 st by my holiday (7lb to go), another 2st by Christmas etc.

I feel like I made a massive leap when I realised that my "diet" is probably what normal people eat usually and that it was me that was abnormal rather than them having some secret to eating loads and being thin - I was deluding myself. I really thought I was just unlucky. Making that mental leap from "deprived" to "normal" has helped enormously.

You can do it. I'm doing it. Honestly if I can, you can - I know exactly how you're feeling, but if you start tomorrow, every day will make a difference.

fizzychuck89 Tue 14-Jul-15 05:13:56

Thanks for replying! smile hubby is a soldier too, and I'd used to eating loads or next to nothing but does quite a lot of phys. . (suppose it is his job to be fit!)
I do like slimming world but i get bored easy..my issue is crisps and chocolate! I can go months without alcohol but there's just something about that Cadbury goodness that pulls me back. As such I feel to start off I need to completely forgo crisps and the sweet stuff as I am the type of person who can't stop at "just one bag/bar"sad
I've downloaded the my fitness pal app so may try calorie counting and see how it goes for a week.
The sad thing is I am actually really good at dieting and losing weight when I'm in the zone, it's just will power I need! blush
you are right about the attitude to food, it'd my crutch. I'm an emotional eater, and would say boredom is my biggest down fall! Worse time is the middle of the afternoon when my energy is lagging and the babies are napping. I need to find something to do other than sit and eat rubbish.
well done on your weight loss! do you have a thread going, maybe we could buddy up? smile

JontyDoggle37 Tue 14-Jul-15 05:24:42

Hello - come and join us on the MFP to lose weight thread, while bunch of us using My Fitness Pal with great results and motivating each other to keep going. I'll post a link in a sec

JontyDoggle37 Tue 14-Jul-15 05:25:53

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weight_loss_chat/2390972-MFP-to-lose-weight

fizzychuck89 Tue 14-Jul-15 08:42:32

smile thanks for the thread! I'll be along shortly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now