Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried ghee?

(12 Posts)
avagosling Tue 07-Jul-15 11:33:42

I keep hearing about this ghee or clarified butter and am curious to try it. Has anyone tried it and have any tips on brands/quality/uses etc?

BertrandRussell Tue 07-Jul-15 11:36:45

Ghee is just bitter with the milk solids removed so you can use it for frying without it burning at quite a low temperature like ordinary butter does. No fewer calories or healthier than butter, I'm afraid!

HagOtheNorth Tue 07-Jul-15 11:40:31

I often use ghee for frying, it's great for pan-fried potato dishes or omelettes.
It's got a very specific taste though, which DS and I like and DD loathes.
Definitely not a useful part of a weight-loss thread though, more calories than butter.

yumyumpoppycat Tue 07-Jul-15 14:00:53

Ghee tastes ok - not as nice as butter. It's often considered ok to keep eating when cutting out all other dairy as the milk solids have been removed. If you are eating it as part of a paleo style diet grain, sugar free etc then you might find you can eat it and lose weight.

BertrandRussell Tue 07-Jul-15 14:41:11

"t's often considered ok to keep eating when cutting out all other dairy as the milk solids have been removed"

Surely not!

HagOtheNorth Tue 07-Jul-15 15:37:19

Not from a diet POV, but lactose-intolerant people can often tolerate it.

avagosling Tue 07-Jul-15 16:09:30

I've actually heard/read about its benefits for weight loss due to the beneficial fatty acids in there etc. Fat does not make you fat after all?!

BertrandRussell Tue 07-Jul-15 17:38:15

"I've actually heard/read about its benefits for weight loss due to the beneficial fatty acids in there etc. Fat does not make you fat after all?!"

Well, not specifically- but too many calories do. And there are just as many of them in ghee as in butter. And the same goes for beneficial fatty acids. No difference at all.

avagosling Wed 08-Jul-15 15:58:53

It's all about the nutrients thought isn't it? I thought calorie counting was leaving the scene. Well in my opinion weight loss is about eating real food and enough of it.

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Jul-15 16:51:23

I'd just eat butter then-it tastes much nicer!

HagOtheNorth Wed 08-Jul-15 17:48:51

I've never counted calories. confused
if I want to lose weight, I do more exercise.
Ghee is for cooking, IMO.

MarinaCoyle Wed 08-Jul-15 18:00:21

Every time I see that word I giggle. Sorry. Nothing useful to add!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now