Talk

Advanced search

how long does it take to lose weight?

(11 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 10:19:00

I am not losing any.
I am using MFP
which is good in that it adds up calories.
does it take a while?
i always thought that the body thought it was starving when you first diet and it holds onto fat?

SaulGood Mon 06-Jul-15 10:22:55

I think that starvation thing is a bit of nonsense tbh. Unless you are actually starving yourself, the body just does its job and burns the reserves you have.

If you're eating the right number of calories for the lifestyle you lead and you have weight you need to lose, you should be looking at 1-2lbs a week maximum.

How long have you been trying for?

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:30:27

two weeks I think

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:31:15

my scales arent perfect <<optimistic>>
really should check aobut more than 2 weeks by the sounds of it.

Perfectlypurple Mon 06-Jul-15 11:35:09

Are you sure your portion sizes are right? Putting in a portion of pasta for example in mfp will depend on the weight of the pasta.

Patricia909 Mon 06-Jul-15 11:37:49

If you are using MFP and accurately inputting both food and exercise you will lose weight - around 1lb per week. Make sure you weigh your food so you are not inadvertently eating more than you think, and do not over estimate the amount of exercise you do. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning before drinking anything as a couple of glasses of water can skew the results. If you stick to it - and assuming do have weight to lose - it will work.

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:38:43

i dont know how to do this. I know I eat barely any carbs but dont actually weigh them.
so I just report a pasta salad for example, even though I only had 10 pieces of pasta but I am hoping over estimating is a good way to do it.

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:39:19

thank you patricia

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:40:01

i cant believe how many calories there are in raw carrotts/plums/grapes, for example.

NoahVale Mon 06-Jul-15 11:40:19

I am calorie aware for the first time in my life!

Perfectlypurple Mon 06-Jul-15 12:19:16

There is a difference in calories depending on what they are. Carrots are only 35 calories per 100g. Grapes I think are 70. If you eat things that are more filling then you won't need to snack. Maybe have some nuts for protein, it doesn't look like much but they are filling.

I do slimming world, where the natural foods are free, so can eat lots of salad and fruit. Ese are good foods to eat. I could calorie count, which I have done in the past but it is easy to eat a pack of crisps or something that isn't filling and doesn't havemuch nutritional value, so I would be hungry later. I I,e not having to weigh food, apart from the non free stuff like mayo etc.

Today I have had grapes and 0 percent fat yoghurt for breakfast. I don't feel hungry so haven't had lunch yet. Not sure what I will have. I have a snap, pot of almonds that I can eat. I will be having salad for tea with egg mayo. All I have had to measure of that is count out the almonds, and weigh the Mayo.

I can have other food if I get hungry, but not feeling too good today so won't be eating much. Normally I would fill up on carrot and cucumber sticks and maybe an apple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now