Talk

Advanced search

Where to start?

(6 Posts)
Yoghurtget Mon 29-Jun-15 20:40:36

I have just seen a photo of myself at my birthday party this weekend and I look awful. I am so upset, I thought I looked really nice, it was my first major event post baby (baby is one) and I made a real effort. My BMI is 25, only just ok for my height and am about 9lb heavier than pre pregnancy but those few extra pounds really show and I am embarrassed I went out looking as I did. How can I start to get into shape, I feel like I have been trying all year and have got nowhere.

Vivacia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:00:23

Sweetheart, I'm sure that the photo doesn't give a very accurate representation of how you looked. It's a split second glimpse from the whole party. I know that it's easy for me to say, but please don't feel embarrassed. Your family/friends will just be grateful that you were there and they got to enjoy your company.

How can I start to get into shape, I feel like I have been trying all year and have got nowhere.

Can you tell us a bit more about what you've been doing so far?

Yoghurtget Mon 29-Jun-15 21:48:10

I have been trying to eat well, but in phases. So I will do well for a few weeks then the next week stuff myself. I joined slimming world on line but found it all a bit complicated. Generally when dieting I try to eat 1000 calories excluding fruit & veg ( my thinking being that would be about 1200 calories in the end)I have started running again but it's not done much to shift pounds.

Vivacia Tue 30-Jun-15 07:40:33

Running is great for your physical and mental health, but exercise is not the most efficient means of weightloss. How tall are you? How old? It might be sensible to aim for 1500 calories per day, or more, in order to prevent the crashing.

I have one meal a week where I don't restrict my calories. I still count and record (as best as I can) and did this even when losing weight. The next morning I'm so full and bloated I'm more than happy to eat light again. I am down to a size 8 and maintaining for about 9 months now.

Another thing I found really motivating, but doesn't work for all, is weighing myself every morning.

yumyumpoppycat Tue 30-Jun-15 14:01:35

It was prob just a bad photo!

Apparently running is more effective for weight loss if you alternate between walking/slow running and running fast rather than steady state jogging. Will try to find the article I read.

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-Jun-15 14:09:55

I'm in a similar position....a bit overweight but not terribly. I've been trying to cut all snacking and concentrating on eating three proper meals a day without stressing too much about calorie counting. It's been working (slowly) and my clothes feel better and I feel more like my old self.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Photos often catch people at the wrong angle (I almost cried over one where my arms looked enormous even though I know they're fine in real life). It is more difficult to lose weight when you're close to your target so I'd aim to eat well with lots of fresh stuff and as little rubbish as possible and I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now