Wheat Belly 'diet' for 2 weeks. Weight not shifting :(

(11 Posts)
Shitmyhairdressersays Thu 25-Jun-15 07:02:30

DH, DSS and I have been wheat and grain free for 2 weeks now, restricted potatoes too and no wheat substitutes just fish, meat, veg, salads and cheese/nuts and limited fruit. I feel better but while they are all losing weight, I lost albs the first week and seem to have put a pound back on this week. I feel miserable.
I am enjoying all the veg and clean eating but wonder why my weight isn't shifting? Is this normal??

Dowser Thu 25-Jun-15 08:47:02

Hmmm, when I first did it I lost a lot of weight. Now I'm trying to lose some more and if it's happening at all, it's very slow.

I've also quit sugar too.

At least you will benefit from the health benefits of the good food you are eating.

At my recent blood test I was told I had extremely healthy blood.

Shitmyhairdressersays Thu 25-Jun-15 09:25:25

Dowser I've quit sugar too. The book says you can have unlimited nuts, veg, limited fruit and unlimited meat and fish and eggs.
Except really you can't have unlimited nuts,eggs and cheese and unlimited veg and meat gets very old very fast!
Having to limit everything and not lose any weight after all that is miserable so at the moment the health benefits seems to be a very small win sad
The book said the fat would melt off and it seems to be doing on DSS (7 lbs in 2 weeks!) but not for me.

Milllii Thu 25-Jun-15 10:14:45

Cut out cheese and dairy. Watch portions by eating only when hungry and not just for the sake of it.

Milllii Thu 25-Jun-15 10:16:45

Of you eat more than your body needs it will stall you.

ppeatfruit Thu 25-Jun-15 15:05:24

Yes I 2nd Milli However healthy your food is if you throw it down your neck, don't enjoy it or chew it properly, eat when you're not hungry, in front of a srceen etc. Then you can stall weight loss.

Have a look at Paul Mackenna for help re educating your body.

yumyumpoppycat Thu 25-Jun-15 21:28:49

Could it be time of the month bloating? Do you need to drink more water?

Perhaps if you didn't eat that much wheaty stuff to begin with or don't have problems with it then you might not lose weight, esp if you have replaced all the calories with unlimited healthy foods??

Another thought, if you have been restricting calories for a while before dropping the bread and stopped counting calories to do wheatbelly it might take a while for your body to adjust and lose weight?

lilacclery Mon 21-Sep-15 10:42:06

shit did you see any improvement or continue with the diet?

Today is my first day wheat free.
I'm up since 6 - For breakfast I had 3 eggs baked with serrano ham, for my snack at 10 I had smoked salmon on 2 oatcakes with philly extra light cheese and 4 brazil nuts.

duckwalk Tue 22-Sep-15 05:30:28

I quit wheat and sugar for 3 months at the beginning of the year, was really strict about it and my dh was really supportive by cooking specific recipes and not buying in loads of crap. Unfortunately I didn't lose a single pound! Think it may have been my antidepressants tbh? Done it purely to help with tummy bloat and sluggishness and it was great! Found it quite restrictive though so have been eating gluten free for a few months and tummy still good.

Perugia Tue 22-Sep-15 06:03:19

Wheat belly diet is basically a modified paleo diet. I've spent the last few months following a similar diet and I've lost 2.5 stone, it definitely works but there can be some sticking points at the beginning.

Firstly, I'm sorry if this sounds rude but are you actually overweight? If you are already at a healthy body weight then you may not lose much weight at all. My husband has been following a paleo template too, but whilst I've lost a lot of weight (due to being very overweight to start with), he's lost only a few pounds but he is feeling fantastic in himself so he thinks its worth it.

Secondly, you are only 2 weeks into your diet. I'd go for a full 30 day elimination to see the true benefits, possibly longer. On day 14 of my paleo diet I felt dreadful, was massively bloated and hardly lost any weight. A week later it started dropping off, my body (and my gut) was just adjusting.

Don't underestimate the effect your menstrual period will have either, I gain 5-6lbs of water weight when I'm menstruating (sorry TMI).

Also I know it sounds trite but try not to obsess over the scales, the benefits of an ancestral diet are extensive and stretch far beyond your waistline.

Bloody sugar regulation in important, if I eat too much fruit I feel cranky and lightheaded a few hours later. What is your meal composition like? Are you getting enough fat, protein and more importantly veggies?

Perugia Tue 22-Sep-15 06:05:25

Sorry that should read blood sugar regulation blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now