Talk

Advanced search

Does exercise really help to lose weight?

(7 Posts)
Vagabond Wed 24-Jun-15 15:59:39

I have started playing netball and I play at least 5 matches a week and have been doing so for 4 months. Absolutely no difference in my weight and I have not changed my diet.
This seems crazy to me. Any thoughts?

whereismagic Wed 24-Jun-15 16:12:51

You need a difference between in and out calories to be big enough to start loosing weight. Sport on the tiger hand makes you eat more or eat more of high calorie stuff (because you exercise). I think it's much easier to do it with cutting out calories in what you eat. Body is also resistant to loosing weight and adjusts to whatever weight you have and will always try to get back to it. You can probably do with a food diary and see where your calories are coming from.

whereismagic Wed 24-Jun-15 16:13:36

Other not tiger

MugsLife Wed 24-Jun-15 16:38:02

The research shows it doesn't. You have to restrict calories to lose weight.

lemonstartree Wed 24-Jun-15 18:55:43

Not really. It helps maintain weight loss. You need to run for 10 minutes to burn 100 calories (roughly) which is about one digestive biscuit. Other exercise - less intense-" burns less . You need to be 1750 calories in deficit to lose one pound of fat... So the maths says you would need to run for about 3 hours to lose that. aND not increase intake because you are hungry because you are exercising ....

SaulGood Wed 24-Jun-15 19:00:17

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Maintaining weight is 80% exercise and 20% diet.

I don't diet. Never have. Never will. If I need to lose weight (post babies for example), I just up the exercise. I eat healthily anyway but it does take a fuck load of exercise and it takes a long time. If you want good, immediate, sustainable and notable gains, you do have to look at what you're eating too.

Hestheone Wed 24-Jun-15 19:05:41

As others have said,it helps maintain weight loss,I lost4 stone from calorie counting then took up jogging 5 days a week for 30mins,this meant I could stop counting and just eat sensibly and maintained the weight loss.
Stopped jogging then piled the weight back on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now