Talk

Advanced search

Post baby weight loss

(4 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Fri 19-Jun-15 18:11:47

How do I go about losing weight now I've had my baby? I'm breastfeeding so not really sure what to do re diet/exercise (not that I'm up for much of the latter on day 9 post birth with a 2nd degree tear to recover from) as I don't want to negatively impact my milk supply.

Any and all advice would be gratefully received!

Letmeeatcakecakecake Fri 19-Jun-15 20:12:23

Hey!

I'm fully breast feeding my 8 week old and trying to lose my last 13lbs of weight gain.

I found that the first two weeks I just wanted to focus on recovering and bonding... Sitting down and feeding the baby lots, cuddles and eating whatever the hell I fancied.. Weirdly enough I managed to lose 29lbs doing that!

From two weeks I started trying to increase my activity levels and eat healthy and haven't lost a single lb!

Partly due to bad knees which limits what I can do.

When you're breast feeding you need to make sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating good food. Your baby will take what it needs from you so if your diet is lacking in anything then you will feel it.

I try to eat lean protein, good fats, complex carbs and a portion of fruit or veggies with every meal and drink tonnes and tonnes of water.

I found that setting aside a few hours one day a week to batch cook my meals for the week helpful too. It gets a bit boring eating the same breakfast, same lunch and same dinners every day for a week but once it's all cooked and portioned out in containers I just need to heat and eat so saves plenty of time throughout the week! Also makes me less likely to make bad choices of the food is ready prepared and waiting for me!

A few meal ideas:
3 x scrambled eggs with 1 slide wholemeal seeded bread toasted, 100g steamed spinach and half an avocado

120g quorn/chicken breast with 40g brown rice and aload of steamed broccoli. Mix in a tablespoon coconut oil once heated

The best exersices to do daily for cardio is HIIT, which you could easily do in your living room. Even if it's 1 minute furious jumping jacks followed by 30 seconds moderately jogging on the spot, 1 minute jumping squats followed by 30 seconds moderately jogging on spot repeatedly for 15 minutes or so!

Weights are also good for toning up, the key things to do are dead lifts, clean and press, squats and chest press.

As long as you're keeping your food and liquid intake up then exersices shouldn't effect your milk supply but you may want to try to express some off before training as being really full can be quite uncomfortable whilst you exersices!

Best of luck and congratulations on your precious new bundle! X

BendyMum15 Sun 21-Jun-15 08:33:20

Eat healthily but I really wouldn't worry too much about actively losing weight at 9 days post birth. Take time to enjoy your baby and recover.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 23-Jun-15 17:15:18

Thanks both!

Not overly concerned about weight loss just yet, just want to have a plan in place when I do get started smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now