Talk

Advanced search

I've just realised I'm afraid of feeling hungry, which is why I graze so much

(11 Posts)
ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 15-Jun-15 11:10:09

It was a bit of a lightning bolt realisation. I've always been a grazer but have never been overweight because I was very sporty.

I suddenly realised I was afraid of being hungry because I get migraines if I don't eat regularly. Not eating for 4-5 hours (e.g. between meals) gives me a migraine.

Also, since having DC2 I am barely do any exercise, but I am severely sleep deprived and often reach for the chocolate to cheer me up.

All that adds up to me currently weighing about 3-4kg more than I would like to. It's not a huge amount to lose but I seem to be incapable of eating less. And like I said, if I skip my snacks, I get a migraine sad

I'm really quite fussy so can't start snacking on healthy stuff, as I don't like nuts, crudities etc. I also don't like salad or lots of low-fat meals.

Any idea how I can lose some weight? I can go a couple of hours without eating if I'm doing something else (meeting or whatever), but if I'm just at my desk or at home I eat every 45-60 minutes.

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Jun-15 11:15:33

How about fruit? Nice fruit like strawberries, cherries, watermelon...could you snack on that?

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 15-Jun-15 11:17:34

I do snack on bananas. And strawberries. And clementines (in season). But don't like other fruit blush

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Jun-15 11:22:52

I'm not big on fruit, I just listed the ones I like, lol.

How about proteiny stuff, boiled eggs, cooked chicken?

I'm trying to think of healthier snacks that aren't all seeds or leaves.

MirandaGoshawk Mon 15-Jun-15 11:25:11

Sip water or green tea instead? I'm the same as you, OP - afraid of being hungry. I eat nuts though, and biscuits and work it off with exercise.

FaFoutis Mon 15-Jun-15 11:31:13

I have the same problem, but I wouldn't say I fear hunger - I fear the migraines.
I eat a lot of plain yoghurt, sometimes mixed with fruit and a bit of muesli. It raises my blood sugar just enough.

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 15-Jun-15 12:29:05

Yoghurt would be a good idea. I'm not very keen on it though so will definitely need to force myself. Our fridge always has lots in it for the DC but I never feel inclined to eat any!

I agree with fearing migraines. Day to day life is enough of a struggle without adding a migraine into the mix. Though even if I do eat I still get them every few weeks.

SwearyGodmother Mon 15-Jun-15 13:04:01

Can you bake something healthy? I make protein muffins with oats, whey protein, cocoa, stevia and egg whites - they take 5 minutes to whip up and 15 to bake and have 58 calories in each. If you look on bodybuilding websites there are often lots of low calorie baking recipes.

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 15-Jun-15 13:49:20

Oh thats a good idea thanks. I like baking and so does DS so it'll keep him occupied one weekend wink

ScrewFix Mon 15-Jun-15 13:55:05

I think you also need to try to overcome the 'I don't really feel like it' mentality when you're trying to lose weight/be healthy. Unless you REALLY dislike a food, try to plan healthy snacks and meals and just stick to eating them.

I am quite fussy and faddy and had got myself into a real rut of ONLY eating foods I 'fancied'. Its a downwards spiral to eating crap, in my experience. Of course you're going to much rather chocolate than some fruit grin. But you can retrain your palate to a large degree, I think.

I've been forcing myself to eat more fruit and veg, and after just a few weeks, I find I actually like it a lot more than I thought I did. I could go days without eating fruit previously, as I never felt like it, but now its become a habit to have some with or after each meal, I actually look forward to it.

Planning meals and snacks ahead and eating what you said you were going to eat is key, otherwise you are always at the mercy of grabbing something you 'feel like'.

RobotHamster Mon 15-Jun-15 14:05:07

I knew this would be about migraines when I clicked on the link. I have a similar problem, and found myself doing exactly what you do. I found what helps massively is eating big enough meals to begin with, but also avoiding too much sugary things or crappy carbs like white bread in the middle of the day. It made all the difference in the world,I avoided the mid afternoon low blood sugar, which is the trigger for my migraines, and it means you don't have the urge to snack all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now