Talk

Advanced search

Need some support, I feel so low.

(6 Posts)
Curtesytome Sun 14-Jun-15 18:51:02

I knew I was overweight and consciously decided, about 6-7 weeks ago to really make some changes within my diet and portion sizes. I didn't weight myself as I don't have a set of scales and didn't want to become totally fixated with my weight. I am under no illusion what so ever, I have a lot of weight to lose, at least 5 stones!

I've just started to notice that my clothes are feeling baggier or fitting nicely instead of being too tight, it's been a lot more noticeable on my bottom half than my top half. Any way, I've been at my grans today and decided to step on her bathroom scales and they weighed me in at over 16 stones!!!! And this is after I've lost probably about a stone already!!! I could honestly cry, I looked in the mirror and just thought how have I morphed into this big fat blob?? I've got such a long way to go,I need to up my exercise but as a working mum of a toddler it's not easy to find the time, DP works nights so it's not as if I can leave him with DD whilst I go to the gym on a night, I've started doing some basic circuit training using the steps in my house, sit ups etc.

I was so positive but now that I've seen those numbers on the scales I feel at a loss, I don't want to slip back into my old ways and end up even bigger though but I'm an impatient person and want to see more progress within myself, I just feel as though the weight is going really slowly. My gran tried to console me and said "oh I've had them scales for donkeys years, they're probably wrong, and that bathroom floor is a bit uneven too." But I think they were quite accurate. I've been so so good and really been trying but I just feel as though it's all in vain.

MargoReadbetter Sun 14-Jun-15 18:54:19

It's not in vain. You've lost a stone in 7-8 weeks. You can do this, though that rate may be unsustenaible. It seems quite a lot to me. Go back to doing what you were doing before looking at the scales. Keep going, it'll be worth it.

shattered77 Sun 14-Jun-15 19:03:24

Keep going, you're doing great! That will fall off you if you keep going. I'm in a similar position re not being able to get out to exercise, but have just joined a gym with a free creche. This time I'm not doing the scales either, it's all about clothes fitting. Good luck!

tellmemore1982 Sun 14-Jun-15 19:06:05

Try focusing on your health and the positives that any lifestyle improvements will make, not just your weight. Your health is one of the greatest gifts you can have, don't throw it away now, you still have time to change it.

I would highly recommend making time for some fitness, I know it's difficult but for example the 30 day shred is only 20 mins long and you will see huge results in how you feel and look. Any exercise will help improve your moods and pull you from the lows, you can also do in privacy of your own home at a time that suits you.

Your willpower so far to start eating better has been super but don't overlook your whole wellbeing, adding fitness will bring results faster, and at times like now when you're feeling disheartened you'll realise you can do so much more than before, no matter how long It takes.

DownWithThisTypeOfThing Mon 15-Jun-15 09:23:28

Oh my goodness you could be me!

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I'd bought new scales as my old ones were the manual dial type and I was half a stone heavier than in the old scales and when you think my original starting weight on the old scales was a stone heavier than I was expecting anyway...

I completely get how you feel - I was shocked/sad/disappointed/ashamed. But, I will never see that weight again. I'm doing something about it and I'm in control.

It's a horrible feeling. But it can also be a spur. Don't let a feeling beat you. If you could feel the benefits of what you'd been doing then you should feel proud that you'd taken some action.

If it helps, try and visualise standing on the scale 7 weeks ago and seeing it hit 17 stone. You would have been gutted then, but stepping on the scales yesterday and seeing a stone off would've made you euphoric even though you still have a way to go.

chipshop Mon 15-Jun-15 09:50:01

It's awful weighing yourself for the first time. But it's going to get better and better. And you've done the hardest bit already by getting into your diet, you've survived the first tough few weeks. I lost four stone, there were plenty of blips along the way, but keep going - it's SO worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now