Talk

Advanced search

Low GI breakfasts for a diabetic

(7 Posts)
Purpleball Wed 10-Jun-15 16:12:04

I'd really appreciate some ideas as I'm struggling a bit.

Before I got pregnant I was eating poached eggs on seeded toast. Now I really can't face eggs and I've gone off seeded toast.
I did have porridge for a while but it's not great now the weather is warmer
All cereals seem to be high GI
I looked online and found some bars on good food website which were oats, nuts, butter and sugar but they sent my readings sky high.
I'm going to put less sugar in and try again but any other ideas would be helpful.
I probably need something easy and not too expensive for when I stop work

HermioneGrangerHair Wed 10-Jun-15 21:45:31

Try soaking oats in milk overnight, and adding fruit - no cook porridge, and feels "brighter" for summer.

Shame about the eggs, check out recipes for pancakes made with chickpea flour - no eggs required.

Yoghurt is a good base for breakfast, with berries at this time of year, and maybe a sprinkle of toasted almonds for a bit of crunch.

Or, if you can be arsed, low sugar baked beans and sausages.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 10-Jun-15 21:56:23

Cold meats (ham etc)? You don't have to eat traditional "breakfast" foods. Have you gone off all eggs? I sometimes make up some egg mayo and keep it in the fridge.

Bacon, sausages, avocado, grapefruit, plain yoghurt, smoked salmon, cheese - all lower carb.

Milllii Wed 10-Jun-15 22:05:52

ground mixed seeds (chia, hemp, pumpkin, linseed) ground mixed nuts (pecan, walnut, almond) almond flour, cinnamon, real vanilla , fresh berries with coconut/almond/rice milk.

omelette with peppers, onions.

full fat greek yoghurt with almond flour and berries and vanilla

apples with cinnamon lightly baked with vanilla and coconut cream or greek yoghurt

mushrooms and tomatoes lightly cooked in a little butter, bacon and a slice of toast

avagosling Thu 11-Jun-15 11:06:26

I agree with the above, also great point that you don't need to eat 'breakfast foods' for breakfast, it is just another meal like lunch and dinner.
Dinner leftovers for breakfast? If you cook e.g. bacon and sausages, make sure to use either coconut or ghee for cooking.
Also try smoothies? 1/4 avocado, handful frozen berries, spinach and protein powder

Purpleball Thu 11-Jun-15 22:45:01

That's really helpful thanks everyone. It's poached eggs I've gone off mostly. Not keen on fried. I might give scrambled a go
Never would have thought of soaking oats but I'll try it too.
I also never would have thought of cooked meat/ cheese either

Advice much appreciated grin

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 12-Jun-15 06:47:17

It is hard to break out of the traditional breakfast foods way of thinking. Try the pig2twig.co.uk website for more ideas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now