Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else tried the Eat Water products at Holland and Barrett?

(25 Posts)
reginaphalanges Fri 05-Jun-15 19:09:18

Hi first post but long time lurker.

I've been having them the last couple of months, mainly the noodles, rice and fettuccine I was a bit dubious when I first came across them as I thought how the hell can they only be 9 cals/21 cals per 100g (some packets say 9 and others say 21 not sure why as they look and taste the same) Prior to having them I barely ate carbs but missed having pasta etc so I thought I would give them a go and I think their great, I haven't put on any weight and they leave me feeling fuller for longer.

On the downside they have an awful fishy smell when you open them and have to rinse them for a couple of minutes before cooking, thankfully they don't taste how they smell! They don't have quite the same texture to normal pasta, rice etc their a bit rubbery but I don't mind that. Their pretty tasteless but you can just add a bit of sauce as you normally would to pasta.

I've just ordered a load more from H&B as their half price until tomorrow and it's free delivery on orders over £15.

PurpleDaisies Fri 05-Jun-15 19:38:11

What are they made from? To be honest they don't sound very nice. The "awful fishy smell" is deal breaker for me.

MeganChips Fri 05-Jun-15 19:48:11

I use them quite a bit when I want to lose some weight. Not the Eat Water ones though, they are expensive for what they are.

They are just Shirataki noodles, quite common in Asia and made from yam fibre. Unfortunately here they are marketed as a diet aid and massively expensive. Do you have a Chinese supermarket anywhere near you such as Wing Yip? They are much cheaper there.

They taste a bit like rice noodles to me. Not delicious but fine in stir fries, pad Thai etc. Once you rinse off the grim fishy smell anyway!

reginaphalanges Fri 05-Jun-15 20:07:53

It says they are made from Juroat, a high-fibre, low-calorie blend of Konjac flour and oat fibre.

They are really expensive, I only buy them when they are half price, there is a Chinese supermarket a couple of miles away, I will go take a look, thanks for the tip smile

YoScience Fri 05-Jun-15 20:11:01

I tried them but really didn't like them. It made eating dinner seem like a bush tucker trial! grin

heather1 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:16:08

I brought a spiraliser recently. I have spiraliser courgettes and it works really well.

Stealthpolarbear Fri 05-Jun-15 20:16:11

I want to try these as I love pasta ,chewer the better but the fishy smell (and the price) put me off!

Stealthpolarbear Fri 05-Jun-15 20:18:03

Where do you get a spiraliser? I looked in lakeland, if they don't sell them I don't know where does

BIWI Fri 05-Jun-15 20:21:55

They're great if you're following a low carb diet, where noodles are clearly off limits.

The fishy smell is to do with the fluid they're stored in - no idea what it is, but it really doesn't smell nice - but if you rinse them properly then it does go.

They are lovely in Asian-inspired dishes, especially soup dishes.

You can also buy them in a flat noodle form, a bit like tagliatelle, and they make a passable pasta substitute.

They aren't cheap, wherever you buy them from, I've found.

Morrisons (in their bigger stores) sell them, as part of their Naked brand (I think that's what it's called.)

This is a good site to buy different kinds from, as well as lots of other foods

Branleuse Fri 05-Jun-15 20:28:12

i sometimes have the rice ones. Theyre like a cross between pasta and calamari

reginaphalanges Fri 05-Jun-15 20:35:15

Goes off to google sprilizer............. ooo never seen one of those before they looks great!

grin at bush tucker trial! Their not quite on par with a kangaroo bollock grin grin

KatharineClifton Fri 05-Jun-15 22:43:41

Oh God no! Absolutely vile.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 06-Jun-15 00:11:54

Advertising them are we op?
They aren't nice and are nutritionally void.

iwantgin Sat 06-Jun-15 08:39:04

I bought a couple of packs last week. Had the noodles in a stir fry.

They do smell rank upob opening but I rinsed well. Then rinsed some more.

Wouldn't have paid full price though. Will look out for the noodles in Chinese store.

reginaphalanges Sat 06-Jun-15 10:41:17

Advertising them are we op?

No I don't work for them or H&B. confused

Just genuinely wondered what others thought of them, in terms of taste, helping with weight loss or maintaining their weight as I am (managed to loose 3st over a period of 18 months with healthy eating and exercise and have managed to keep it off for 3 years) that was not using these products they are something I have only come across a couple of months ago.

Personal taste I know but I don't mind them mixed in with stuff and a great way to cut down on calories on the odd meal. smile

BIWI Sat 06-Jun-15 11:27:17

Better nutritionally void than overloading the blood with glucose!

Sometimes you want something like a noodle, just for its texture - e.g. a Vietnamese pho.

theDudesmummy Sat 06-Jun-15 11:35:31

I have had them a few times and they were OK although just feel like plastic and the fishy smell is unpleasant. But then I ate a pack which I think had gone off and got very sick. So no more for me.
Spiraliser is wonderful, much better if you want something low carb to mimic noodles, I have courgetti several times a week (and am just about to spiralise a mooli).

Stealthpolarbear Sun 07-Jun-15 14:40:58

here can I buy a spiraliser

Gumnast2014 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:49:58

Amazon sell spiralusers surprised Lakeland don't tho

BreadmakerFan Sun 07-Jun-15 14:51:11

The rice is vile but the pasta isn't too bad. Best to get when buy one get one for 1p or buy one get one half price as can be pricy. They aren't totally delicious but not bad.

BreadmakerFan Sun 07-Jun-15 14:52:14

spiralizer at lakeland

BreadmakerFan Sun 07-Jun-15 14:53:04

I've never noticed a fishy smell in my packets.

Stealthpolarbear Sun 07-Jun-15 14:56:10

hank you. I now know why I didn't find it - I was looking for something like a potato peeler, not something that size!

Stealthpolarbear Tue 09-Jun-15 18:38:32

Have bought some eat water spaghetti. Currently half price. I'll report back

Stealthpolarbear Fri 12-Jun-15 21:14:15

Just had them with arribiata sauce. Pleasantly surprised. I didn't notice a fishy smell though I did hold my breath as I rinsed.
Bit more of a springy texture but not bad. My favourite meal is Al dente pasta with just salt and I'd have this like that. Well usually I have loads of butter too smile
I did eat the whole pack though so about 70 cals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now