Talk

Advanced search

Body image question

(13 Posts)
BumbleNova Mon 01-Jun-15 16:57:26

Ladies

I'm not sure where to post this question and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

I really struggle with with working out whether I am too far/too thin/ fine / could do with loosing weight.

I definitely have body dismorphia but most of the time I cope. I weigh myself and my BMI is fine. I am the heaviest I have ever been since I started lifting weights, so weirdly even though I like (most of the time...) how my clothes fit, I feel like I've lost my objective benchmark?! I went shopping and (i know its totally pathetic) and my 'usual' size was too tight and I'm now convinced I should be eating just lettuce.

Obviously, we all get exposed to unrealistic images to what we should aspire to look like and I guess I am asking what should I be aiming for? How do other people work out what their ideal(?) weight or otherwise should be. my rational mind knows the images arent real but I dont know what is real?

I was very skinny at university (size 6) and I am definitely not still that size, probably an 8/10. I have no perspective on whether thats a good thing or a bad thing confused

tabulahrasa Mon 01-Jun-15 17:05:21

I've been losing weight, because I was very overweight...I just set the mid-point of a healthy BMI as my target, I figure that should be about right?

It gives me room to adjust to staying the same weight when I'm done without going outside a healthy BMI.

I'm not overly bothered by what clothes size I am.

Don't know if that will help you or not, lol, because I did basically go...that's in the middle, that'll do me fine.

TalkinPeace Mon 01-Jun-15 22:00:49

Look yourself up on here
www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html
there are several pictures for each height and weight
click along the row for your height and see where you are and where you think looks good

BumbleNova Tue 02-Jun-15 09:34:29

Thanks ladies. that website is really helpful. feeling a bit better today and have learnt my lesson re trying on really unflattering jumpsuits...

tabulahrasa Tue 02-Jun-15 11:01:56

Jumpsuits?... Oh no, no-one looks good in those.

I'm pretty sure they're designed by people having a laugh tbh, I mean if actual models look dodgy in them, what hope has anyone else?

Roseybee10 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:46:41

I find this hard too. Now I feel it's not so much the weight I am but how l toned I am. I am at a comfortable weight for my height but I'm so wobbly.
Michelle Keegan is my girl crush just now and I'm around the same weight and height as her but look nothing like her :-(

Sunshine200 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:53:02

I'm struggling to get the balance between the lifestyle I want to live, and how I want to look. They don't really match! I need to decide on the body image I'm willing to accept, and balance that with the sacrifices I'm willing to make.

Amserhaf Fri 05-Jun-15 20:56:33

Bumble try this website. It shows a lot of women at different weights/heights.

www.mybodygallery.com/

TalkinPeace Fri 05-Jun-15 21:14:57

TBH it comes down to : I enjoy great food, but only at a few meals a week

Amserhaf Fri 05-Jun-15 23:57:25

Talking what did you say there? You only eat a few meals a week?

TalkinPeace Sat 06-Jun-15 16:41:36

amser
No, I only eat blow out meals a couple of times a week.

I have 1 meal on a Monday, 1 1/2 on Tuesday and Wednesday, 1 on Thursday, 2 on Friday (one of which is a blow out supper), 2 on Saturday (incl big dinner), 2 on Sunday (incl roast with all the trimmings).

My TDEE is only 1500 calories.
I therefore save my hunger for fewer better meals.

Amserhaf Sun 07-Jun-15 11:00:13

O, ok. I understand. Your fasting. I don't have blowout meals myself. Makes me feel ill and uncomfortable to overeat in any meal.

TalkinPeace Sun 07-Jun-15 16:31:52

Amser
Yes, I do 5:2 but not to lose weight : I've been "maintaining" since December 2012
I just find it a really efficient way to enjoy food while staying a healthy weight.

Last night we went out for a three course restaurant supper
this morning was BLT muffins
and lunch was roast beef, Yorkshire pud, the lot, followed by Eton mess.

I'll now eat lightly for the next 4 days.

I'm too old to give a shit what other people think of my figure and wrinkles and grey hair : I look after myself because I do not want to get Alzhiemers, Diabetes, heart disease, avoidable cancers and many other chronic illnesses.

Oh yeah and Bumblenova
I looked crap in Jumpsuits in the 70's and have avoided them ever since wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now