Talk

Advanced search

Please help... need some advice

(9 Posts)
speccy900 Mon 16-Feb-15 10:18:16

Hello,

I'm new to mn, but have been a lurker for ages, this is my first post.

I'm really frustrated by my weight - I used to be a healthy 10 stone (I'm 5'8) and a size 10 but now I've ballooned to 11 and a half stone over the past year or so. I'd like to lose a stone by April, can this be done?

I actually don't eat a lot and I use MFP to track what I'm eating, but I don't exercise at all so I know this is the problem. It sounds pathetic but I am not a sporty person and find it really hard to get motivated. I also have the implant which I think has triggered the weight gain.

Last week my sister (who is much slimmer than me) passed comment on my weight, this has made realise that other people are starting to notice my new size and I'd like to do something about it to feel more confident in myself.

I've now reached a tipping point and really need some inspiration, I have so many beautiful dresses hanging in my wardrobe that won't zip up!

How did you get into shape after gaining a bit of weight? I know everyone is different, I just want to feel confident again.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Mon 16-Feb-15 10:35:11

Watching with interest. You're the same height as me and I was always slim without much effort. Until I had children.

I'm not that keen on sport either.

Quiero Mon 16-Feb-15 10:37:47

How many calories are you eating a day?

speccy900 Mon 16-Feb-15 10:43:12

Thanks withaspongeandarustyspanner & Quiero. About 1700 give or take (sometimes I go into the MFP red at weekends). I never have bread in the fridge and I always have breakfast. My downfall is probably biscuits, but I do know when to stop.

Quiero Mon 16-Feb-15 10:58:21

You just need to eat less I'm afraid (boring as it is). I think for your height and weight 1700 calls a day will probably maintain your weight and the extras at weekends might be putting the weight on.

Obviously you should exercise for overall health but it's not strictly necessary for weight loss. To lose 1lb of weight you need to eat 3500 cals less than your body uses. Obviously by exercising your body will use more cals so in theory you could eat more.

If you cut down to 1200/1300 cals a day you could probably lose a stone in 7/8 weeks. If you want to eat more than that you will need to do some exercise.

I'd recommend getting a fitbit or something else like it. It makes me move loads more than I used to. And doesn't feel like exercise!

Quiero Mon 16-Feb-15 11:06:58

Oh, and if you do want to do some exercise. I've just started the Davina 7 minute fit. We are congregating here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2308877-Bloody-hell-that-7-min-Davina-exercise-DVD?msgid=52601244#52601244

igivein Mon 16-Feb-15 13:07:24

Have a look at 5:2,it's really working for me

Runningupthathill82 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:35:54

You just need to cut your calorie intake and/or up the exercise - long runs?

Runningupthathill82 Mon 16-Feb-15 18:35:22

Thing is, 1700 cals a day is far too much if you're planning to lose weight. I'm on 1600 on mfp now, just to maintain. Was on 1200 to lose, and I only lost 2lb a month on that.

I'm 5ft 6ins and was 10st 10lb to start, so not too dissimilar from you. Now 9st 7lb and MUCH happier!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: