Advanced search

To purge or not to purge (the wardrobe)?

(7 Posts)
Honeybadger83 Sat 31-Jan-15 13:51:06

I've lost a bit of weight in the last two years, and find myself two sizes smaller than most of my clothes. I'm a SAHM for now, so it's just jeans and tshirts most of the time, but I'll be going back out to work in September and will be needing something a bit smarter to wear.
I'm also getting settled in a new relationship, and we know what that usually means for our waistlines hmm
I'm not sure if I should keep things on the basis that I'll probably get bigger again, or chuck the lot and have to start from scratch in smaller sizes.
On the one hand, most of the clothes are hardly worn and I still like many of them them and would like to wear them. Plus, I can't actually afford much in the way new clothes.
On the other hand, by keeping the larger clothes, am I just giving myself an incentive to gain weight again, assuming that it's inevitable when it needn't be?

Any successful slimmers had a similar dilemma?

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Sat 31-Jan-15 20:04:35

I have been keeping complete wardrobes in all sizes from a 12 to a 22 for 10 years now.

My weight has yo-yoed a lot. The first time I lost the weight, I got rid of all the bigger clothes. It wasn't an incentive to keep the weight off : when I put it back on I had to buy new clothes, most of which I didn't like because I couldn't afford nice ones.

I haven't been bigger than an 18 for many years now (I am currently a 14), but I am still debating whether to give away the size 22s.

If I were you, I would keep them, but not in your wardrobe. Store them away so that having to access them is a hassle smile.

Silverjohnleggedit Sun 01-Feb-15 09:33:01

Definitely keep the bras, they don't go out of fashion and are small and easy to store.

muffpuff Sun 01-Feb-15 09:38:53

I've lost 4.5 stone in the last 2 years and still have about 3 stone to go, I've been clearing out as I drop a size because in the past I've kept stuff and knowing its there I've been in and out of it but this time the fact that I don't have money to replace the clothing has given me incentive to keep it off and keep going.

Dowser Sun 01-Feb-15 10:20:35

Are you good with a needle and thread. Could you make some of them smaller.

Could you go to a sewing class to learn the skills.

I find it easy to take in a sleeveless summer dress for eg. Just take some in under the arm .

Otherwise put away in the loft...just in case. If you've got them you won't need them!

Innocuoususername Sun 01-Feb-15 10:28:00

Definitely purge.

You've done well to drop two dress sizes, but you seem to think that gaining again is inevitable. It's not! Get rid of the clothes, then if the waistbands do start to get tight, that's your cue to start watching the diet a bit more carefully, rather than just move into bigger clothes that you've kept.
I made that mistake 10 years ago and am still trying to get back to the slimmer dress size (nearly there!)

Runningupthathill82 Sun 01-Feb-15 10:54:25

Purge - get rid of the lot on Ebay. I sold all my mat clothes on Ebay and in some cases (such as a topshop dress which had gone out of stock) made back more than I had paid for it.
Even worn bras can sell for a decent amount if they're a fancy brand and in good condition. My Freyas always sold well, ditto sports bras .

If you keep them you're mentally saying that you might be that size again, which isn't a very healthy attitude to have. Much better to work on the assumption that healthy eating and an active lifestyle is forever.

The only one possible exception I would make is if you have something v expensive that you love - a cocktail dress for example - which may be of use during a possible future pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now