Low carb v calorie counting

(23 Posts)
Sixpencenonethericher Sun 18-Jan-15 21:28:11

I'm low carbing at the minute also sticking to 1300 calories
My dh says that if I don't stick to low carbs I won't lose weight
I think that as long as I stick to my calorie limit I'll lose weight
Any idea who's right ? Thanks

LadyMaryofDownton Sun 18-Jan-15 22:56:21

Hi sorry but your DH is right (I think). there's a science to it but basically carbs turn to sugar which produces fat which then stored rather than burned off. Am sure someone will be along with the correct/better explanation.

If you eat clean very few carbs are included for this reason. Lots of veg & protein are good for weightloss.

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 10:30:43

Thanks for that

yumyumpoppycat Mon 19-Jan-15 11:16:03

Actually I am pretty sure you are both right! Low cal (500 less than you expend as energy -TDEE) will lose weight. Low carb also is usually very successful. Combining the two like you are can also work. Different things work for different people - you just need to find what works for you and what you can keep up most easily.

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 12:02:55

My daily diet is like this I've got 6 stone to lose
Breakfast whole meal toast , scraping of butter 2 scrambled eggs
Lunch .. 3 slices ham and 2 cheeses strings and cucumber
Snack 20g almonds
Tea is fish or chicken with green veg
170 g fromage frais and 20 g blueberries I have half a pint of milk
But every day I'm 200 or so under on my calories but don't know what to eat

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 12:17:18

Any advice welcome

mrsnec Mon 19-Jan-15 12:49:41

I can't see anything wrong with what you're doing. Sorry if I haven't read the whole thread properly but my thoughts are how long have you been doing this for and are you drinking enough.

I lost nearly 4 stone calorie counting. I am doing it again sort of as I probably had 6 to lose but didn't shift the final two.

I did get a bit obsessed with calories. It took 6 months to do it. Don't try and eat the same every day. I'm sure there is a scientific reason for it but I think that helped me.

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 13:12:56

I'm in my third week and I've lost 9 pound I drink loads of water and peppermint tea but I'm fed up I want a bit of marmalade without bossy dh saying I've ruined it lol

Quitelikely Mon 19-Jan-15 13:16:56

If you're only eating 1300 calories a day then I'm certain you are going to lose weight regardless of where you take your calories from, I.e fat, protein or carbs.

The point of low carbing I though, was that you didn't need to count calories as eating other food groups helps burn the calories much quicker...........

yumyumpoppycat Mon 19-Jan-15 13:18:18

Ignore him - my husband can be like that at times and it just makes me eat when he is not around! You have lost 9lb so its working.. are you miserable because of the diet or your dps comments?

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 13:23:36

Both I think I've got a long way to go so can't stick to the low carb for the whole time so think calories will be better also every time I try and explain he shouts do what you want if you don't listen to me just do what you want which just annoys me

Plonkysaurus Mon 19-Jan-15 13:40:35

Do what you want then, he's given you "permission".

I have done both, and found that both work. However caloroe counting meant I became obsessed with calories, and low carbing was expensive. I found that without any 'bulk', like rice or noodles, it took a lot more food to fill me up. Both resulted in disordered eating for me, so I actually can't advocate either.

From personal experience Id suggest counting calories for a short while (a week or two) so you have an idea of what's what, then just eat sensibly. Your lunch sounds low cal and low carb but it sounds heavily processed too. Soups are a good low cal alternative, warning and filling!

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Mon 19-Jan-15 13:41:50

I am doing the same (1300kcal with lots of protein). The calorie deficit will make you lose weight and eating lots of protein will make you feel fuller and ensure you don't lose too much lean mass.
Just have the marmalade, you won't "ruin" anything. (I have a sweet treat everyday and I am still losing weight).

Sixpencenonethericher Mon 19-Jan-15 13:46:53

Thanks all I like brown rice and pasta so I'll carry on

yumyumpoppycat Mon 19-Jan-15 14:09:16

You could probably have one slice of wholemeal for breakfast or replace it with veg and then a little rice or potato at one of your other meals without significantly increasing cals, I think keeping one meal properly low carb and with lots of veg is a really sustainable long term aim that I am going to do too.

I'm not saying you do, but dont moan about/mention anything diet related to your dh then he has no reasons to 'help' by making comments, just do your own thing quietly.

mrsnec Mon 19-Jan-15 14:10:38

I think your weight loss so far is excellent. I also think the more you deprive yourself the more miserable you'll be.

My dh didn't support me at all when I was losing weight and was full of (un)helpful advice! I now don't discuss it with anyone because everyone has an opinion!

I do second what's been said about processed meat and cheese though. Too much salt helps you hold on to fluid and that can slow down weight loss too.

Silverjohnleggedit Mon 19-Jan-15 14:46:36

Have done both and both have worked but not the way I want to eat long term. So now I just limit portions, eater slower and don't snack. You need to restrict something to lose weight or work your butt of with exercise - eat nutritious food and do what you find least painful.

Sixpencenonethericher Fri 23-Jan-15 09:55:43

I carried on calorie counting and I just weighed and stayed the same
Dh is unbearably smug but I'm carrying on calorie counting

yumyumpoppycat Fri 23-Jan-15 18:50:07

Even if you were 100% low carbing, at week 4 and 9lbs down a stall would be pretty likely at this stage. Well done for sticking with it. Exercising 1st thing in the morning before breakfast might get things moving again?

Sixpencenonethericher Fri 23-Jan-15 21:10:11

Thanks for that I'll try it

yumyumpoppycat Fri 23-Jan-15 23:02:47

grin fingers crossed your hard work pays off at next weigh in!

CharlieSierra Fri 23-Jan-15 23:12:24

You aren't low carbing at the moment if you're eating bread, rice, pasta, starchy veg etc. but it sounds like calorie counting is working ok for you so well done, it's best to stick with what suits you.

StripeyCustard Sat 24-Jan-15 00:27:25

Well done OP - it's about finding a way of life you can live with. If you need marmalade, you need marmalade!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: