Talk

Advanced search

Better 1500 calories low carb or 1200 calories high carblf

(9 Posts)
Loletta Wed 14-Jan-15 20:17:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kaykayred Sun 18-Jan-15 13:45:09

High protein diets are totally pointless unless you are very very sporty or do weight lifting. Most meat eater already get more than enough protein through their standard diets - if not too much. Especially in the form of red meat, which actually isn't great for health.

Carbohydrates don't make you any more or less fat than protein. The only thing that actually matters is the energy intake versus the energy expenditure, as part of a balanced diet. Roughly half your daily intake should be in the form of healthy carbohydrates, like wholemeal bread or rice.

Your body needs protein as well of course, and fats as well.

It's more important to focus on the quality of those things rather a simple "include or cut" mentality. For example, chocolate is not a fat you need. But olive oils, avaocado's and oily fish are. Same with carbohydrates - white bread and pasta are not great. Baked potato and wild grain rice are.

1200 calories sounds very low, unless you are very short, or are only trying to lose a bit of weight, with an already quite low BMR.

Could you try aiming for 1400 calories composed of a balanced diet?

Overall though, you need more carbohydrates than protein.

Loletta Sun 18-Jan-15 14:15:32

willowisp Sun 18-Jan-15 14:32:51

For me 1200 cals seemed to be the weight loss number. That with a mix of intermittent fasting & keeping the carbs low. I did MFP & found the lower carb helped with cravings but really I had to grit my teeth & keep my eye on the weight loss prize so to speak.

I'm also similar as no red meat.

kaykayred Mon 19-Jan-15 11:47:35

Loretta - you will need to work out your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which will tell you how many calories your body needs at a basic level for your height and weight. On most calculators you can also factor in your activity level (light or sedentry for you I would assume), and that gets taken into account when calculating your BMR.

That will tell you how many calories you should be eating to maintain your ideal weight. It's a bit hit and miss though - it's best to keep weighing yourself for a while afterwards, and if you are gaining or losing weight, adjust your calorie intake slightly to see if that does the job.

Your splits in carbs, proteins and fats sounds absolutely fine, providing of course you are getting them from healthy foods and not junk :-)

Granola is often very high in sugar, so it's worth checking the packet before buying.

Loletta Mon 19-Jan-15 18:45:12

Loletta Mon 19-Jan-15 19:27:31

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 25-Jan-15 20:29:26

Basal metabolic rate isn't the one you use to calculate how many calories you need to maintain your weight. You need your total daily energy expenditure.

50ShadesofGreyMatter Sun 25-Jan-15 20:54:01

I've lost 7 stone slowly over 2 years with MFP.

Don't use their default calorie levels.

Read this: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/974888 - it will tell you all you need to know, BMR, TDEE, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: