Talk

Advanced search

weight loss doing it myself. anyone else??

(15 Posts)
Steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 01:21:08

Hi everyone im new to mumsnet had the account a while but never really used it. I started healthy eating last october and ive lost 27 and a half pounds though diet and exercise. Ive tried WW and SW in the past but ive done better on my own than i did at either of these clubs. I swim 3 times a week and just wondered if anyone had any fab exercise ideas for me to try please or tasty recipes? I have another 5 stone to lose so would apriciate any input thankyou.smile

EdSheeransGString Wed 14-Jan-15 01:27:47

Hi, I'm also going alone this time.

I have failed just about every diet I've tried but I'm doing well this time by eating less and moving more.

I am very overweight, I had 10 stone to lose and I've lost 2 already so I have about 8 to go.

I have stopped eating crap, no takeaways, chocolate at night etc. My biggest problem was snacking at night watching TV. I'd get through multiple bars of chocolate, packets of crisps, toast, cereal and anything else I could find.

I also drank about 4 litres of coke a day shock

I stopped buying junk food and stopped drinking fizzy juice and 2 stone has come off so far without really trying.

I have joined a leisure club and start a boot camp class tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.

I am 5'8 and weigh 19st 5lb at the moment and I'm a size 22. I was 21st 3lb at the start of November and a size 24 pushing into a 26. I looked awful.

I feel so much more confident now and I am definitely eating less than I used to. I'm not as hungry either and I'm distracting myself at night to stop snacks.

I also download my fitness pal and in tracking my progress there.

I have a long way to go but hopefully I'll get here

Steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 01:42:57

Hi thanks for your reply. Well done on your loss so far. I felt exactly the same on a night i would binge on crisps ive always been more for savoury foods and used to eat a lot of pork pies and sausage rolls and could easily eat 12 bags of crisps. I weighed 19st 11lbs to start with and now im 17st 11 and a half pounds. I just felt i was constantly tired after work and had noenery for the kids. Im pleased you feel more confident i definately feel good about myself for the first time in years smile

EdSheeransGString Wed 14-Jan-15 01:47:40

I've been miserable for years. I only have myself to blame for how I was feeling though and it's taken me a long time to do something about it.

The turning point for me has been dd1 starting school. I hate going to the school every day and looking/feeling different to the other mums. They all look fantastic, slim, look after themselves and I just look awful.

I want to have the energy to go to the park, long walks, swimming etc and give dds opportunities.

It's so hard.

Steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 02:19:30

Aww thats lovely thats what motivated me was the children. I cant do it for myself so i keep thinking i must do it for them. We have two girls and a boy. Our eldest daughter just started school too and i must admit i felt a bit that way too, all the mummies seem to have lovely winter boots on im lucky if i get a wide leg pair to fit. I defo have rugby players calfs lol. It is very hard and you should be proud for loosing that 2 stone thats great smile. Keep going and dont give up, thats been my main problem in the past giving up if id had a bad week at WW but i havent yet and im really trying to push myself this time not to.

ToastedOrFresh Wed 14-Jan-15 02:44:32

I'm going it alone too. I lost a considerable amount of weight following a commercial diet plan but unfortunately put it all back on again. Enough of the excuses, I just need to address the issues and crack on.

I went to a circuit training session at the gym today. Yesterday I did my own personal triathlon i.e. 8 lengths of the swimming pool followed by a session on the static bike as the gym floor is on a mezzanine overlooking the pool then I walked home. I broke into a run for a few steps but it's early days !

I'm overseas so it's summer here atm. Also, I live about 800m from the gym.

dwarfrabbit Wed 14-Jan-15 03:21:02

i've just started the 5:2 diet. there's a thread on mumsnet with some really positive friendly people. So I'm going it alone in rl and getting lots of inspiration from the thread. might see you there!

Steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 03:34:23

Well done for loosing weight im sorry to hear youve put it back on. It is hard like that triathalon sounds good i love my swimming think thats why i go 3 times a week i normally do 50 length but today i pushed myself and did another 6 on top im trying to build it up. Thats good that your so close to the gym im only about 1/4 mile from ours so quite close smile

Steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 03:36:19

Hi thanks for the idea i will have a look for it. As i say im new to this so just trying to work out how to use the forums lol.

Dowser Wed 14-Jan-15 12:56:05

I'm going it alone too. Cutting right down on sugary snacks. Using Mfp to keep track.

I already eat healthy, gluten free and don't buy commercial gluten free products so I can only cut down snacks. When we go to a cafe there's no gluten free flapjack with the drink. Or chocolate is limited to one or two pieces that are counted in...

It's tough because my diet was cut to the bare bones anyway.

As a suggestion for on a night, which is the reason why I'm posting is to take up a hobby.

OH went to jewellery classes. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it.

It sounds a bit naff but I was going through hundreds of photos with my grandson the other night and was able to ignore my hunger pangs as I was enjoying what I was concentrating on. When just watching tv you are bombarded with food in adverts, people popping into the rovers for a pint, and so forth. You can't get away from food and drink.

Good luck all

bryonyelf Wed 14-Jan-15 13:45:24

I am doing it myself - I did join WW at the start of the year (the online one) but don't rate what is available - thank god for cash back on Quidco or that would have been a waste of £30! Anyways, my fitness pal and a fitbit are helping. I am only 2 weeks in with 3.5 stone to shift.

My plan from next week now that I am organised is to go to the local gym (pay per session) while DS is at tennis on a Tuesday and Beavers on a Friday and get on the treadmill. We live fairly rurally so getting out when it is dark is really difficult due to farm tracks etc. Once the lighter nights come that will be easier. I am going to follow the couch to 5K app on my phone. It is 20 minutes only.

I have ordered the Josie someone DVD - she is the girl who one Big Brother as her sessions are only 20 minutes at a time (I get bored and lose interest very quickly at hour long classes) and I hope to do that a couple of times a week.

I am not making false promises to myself. I am being realistic.

No more snacks between meals unless starving. Trying to stick to 1200 calories a day Monday to Friday so I can enjoy a glass of wine on a Friday and Saturday and no takeaways - and definitely NO crisps.

It has been 12 days since my last Crisp. I am addicted to them but so far so good.

steph1988 Wed 14-Jan-15 15:57:03

Hi and well done sounds like youve both made great choices to start weight loss. That jewelery class sounds quite fun actually. Im off for another swim tonight going to aim for 60 lengths i tbink i might join the aqua arobics class ive been looking into it. A few people have mentioned exercise dvds and ive been lent a few, i have acharlie brooks one im thinking of trying again. Is it bad that im craving a pork pir lol. I love crisps too its so hard isnt it.

bryonyelf Wed 14-Jan-15 18:38:30

The crisps thing is really, really hard.

steph1988 Thu 15-Jan-15 08:47:34

Its a nightmare isnt it. I get a few packs in a week for my husband and the kids i just want them lol. Seabrook and mccoys are my fave

bryonyelf Thu 15-Jan-15 13:16:06

In all honesty I can and have done eaten a multi pack of 6 at lunch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: