Talk

Advanced search

Short, sharp burst of exercise?

(4 Posts)
DLCC Fri 09-Jan-15 11:17:58

Hi there

I started this last night as I can't seem to get motivated to do a 40/50 minute DVD three times a week!

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2894630/Get-fit-quick-six-simple-exercises-need-tone-15-minutes.html

I was going to do it every evening. Has anyone ever done this sort of short, sharp programme and have you seen results?

Many thanks

cleanmachine Fri 09-Jan-15 14:08:58

I'm interested in this too. I've never heard from anyone who had done it and lost weight though.

TalkinPeace Fri 09-Jan-15 20:24:35

HIIT (High intensity Interval training)
highly effective .... the lead poster on this thread is well into it
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/fasting_diet/2038913-5-2-Exercise-Fitness-Thread-Number-2-Advice-and-information-for-those-following-5-2-IF-Intermittent-Fasting

it works

kaykayred Sat 10-Jan-15 12:23:03

Well hang on. Not all hiit routines are created equal.

HIIT routines (high intensity interval training) can last anything from 10 minutes to 60 minutes.

Doing a 20 minute HIIT routine would probably burn off similar calories to the 40 minute lower intensity workout. But during those 20 minutes you really need to work your arse off and push yourself extremely hard, with lots of intense moves.

Jumping jacks and the dreaded burpees fit that description, but you have to really go for it, not just flail around, or you are missing the point of HIIT. Plank? Meh. It doesn't really burn many calories to be honest. Same for push ups. They tone, but that's about it. They are generally used as recovery in between cardio during hiit routines.

I've also never seen a hiit routine which allows an equal time working out to resting. That would seem to defeat the purpose - normally you get half the time to recover (so tabata is 20 seconds on, ten seconds off for example), so your body is still recovering when you re start the move.

I really strongly recommend hiit routines, but stand by my view that this is a pretty shit example. You can get some really good routines for free of charge on youtube, many of which you could do in the same timeframe.

Fitness blender are a personal favourite of mine due to their variety, but blogilates also have some decent cardio workouts, not to mention plenty of others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now