Advanced search

New to MFP, would love some tips!

(8 Posts)
MilkshakeMonkey Thu 08-Jan-15 09:43:31

I started just logging my food after Christmas (to get in the habit) and started properly yesterday.

I've got the app, but am finding it fiddly (or me just being a bit thick?!). I find the recipes confusing as American cups and understanding the servings and portions. If any of you could explain this would be great, as I'm not sure I'm logging the amount I eat properly.

Any other hints or tips on using it would be great. I love the idea of loosing weight without paying memberships going to groups etc

butwhythistimemummy Thu 08-Jan-15 09:57:42

I had some cup measures so I just had them on the side to begin with when I was preparing food. It keeps you right to begin with I found and then you get a better idea and I try and over estimate slightly. Add an extra quarter or something...

What calorie limit have you set? I found it took me a few days to get into. Do you want to add me and then we can try and encourage each other using mfp? I'm fairly new to it but enjoying using it so far!

hedwig2001 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:01:12

I added recipes I use all the time for the family. It then gives you calories per portion. Over time I have tweaked the recipes to cut calories were possible.
You can use the barcode scanner to add foods or ingredients.
I have lost nearly 3 stone since June 2014.

MilkshakeMonkey Thu 08-Jan-15 10:33:39

hedwig well done on the weight loss! Yes I have been using the barcode scanner. Does it then take the whole item or a "serving" ?

I will pm you my user name butwhythistimemummy . It set 1500 calls for me - does this sound right?

butwhythistimemummy Fri 09-Jan-15 05:10:53

I've added you but forgot to add a message. I think it depends what your start point is and how much you have to lose. I quite like working to 1200 at the moment. So far I've been doing that during the week and then whatever at the weekend. Have lost 1 and a half stone in 4 months that way. Stepping up now to doing 1200 every day and exercise every day. Want to lose a stone in 6 weeks now. 30 day shred with all three children was not that easy this morning though...

MilkshakeMonkey Fri 09-Jan-15 12:16:07

Ha ha, yes I can imagine! I do it while DS at school, but still had DD telling me to stop jumping around (really motivating that!!)

butwhythistimemummy Fri 09-Jan-15 12:37:21

I work full time. Friday and Saturday are the weekend here (Middle East) so was trying to get a good start to the weekend!

Momagain1 Thu 15-Jan-15 16:35:44

I am American (living in UK) and dont use their recipes (well, not any more often than others). I just enter what I have cooked, either as a recipe, if I anticipate using it regularly, or just the amounts I ate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now