Talk

Advanced search

It's not a diet its a lifestyle change...

(8 Posts)
Messtermind Tue 30-Dec-14 16:40:56

I start this by saying, I have no scales in my house. However I know I am grossly overweight. I am around 5ft5 and wear size 16/18.

I have a history of eating disorders and have until this point used that as an excuse as to why I have reached this point and why I don't do anything about it. However the reason basically is that i eat too much, wayyyy too much and v. unhealthily.

My general lifestyle is terrible, I work in in hospitality and often get home very late eat shit, sleep til 12, get up do another 12 hour shift etc. cycle repeats.

I have no money to go to any local slimming work or weight watchers groups and can't spend a tonne on expensive health foods.. I just need some tips and motivation to change my ways basically, any health minded people who can make any suggestions would be much appreciated sad

TrenzalorWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 30-Dec-14 17:07:22

I do 5:2 but what has really worked for me is quitting sugar. I read Sweet Poison by David Gillespie and the weight (which had plateaued) has fallen off. It's hard to start, but as well as avoiding the sugar calories your appetite drops so there's no need to snack.
Good luck - you can do it without giving money away to WW, SW etc. Oh and if you quit sugar you end up saving money!

Messtermind Tue 30-Dec-14 18:55:33

Done a lot of reading about the 5:2, would have to get DP support etc to monitor my calorie limiting because of ED in past just to make sure I don't fall off the wagon!

The sugar thing is scary, I'm ashamed to admit that I think I exist on sugar blush

Messtermind Tue 30-Dec-14 18:56:21

Sorry sent too soon..

Thank you grin and yeah that's true I guess!

Wolfiefan Tue 30-Dec-14 18:58:28

Sugar messes with your blood sugar and gives you awful highs and slumps. I got to over 17st by eating sugar whenever I was tired. Buzzed with energy then crashed and needed more.
Eat food for nutritional value. Feel less hungry.
Also try to find exercise you love.

youllshootyoureyeout Tue 30-Dec-14 19:04:03

I'm around 5ft 4 and wear a size 16, I am overweight, but certainly not grossly overweight, so I'm pretty sure you're not. I think that's a very unkind thing to say about yourself, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't speak to a friend like that. Losing weight will be so much less stressful if you're nice to yourself, being negative about the way you look will just make things a thousand times more difficult.

I am only just starting to learn this myself, so I don't mean to sound preachy. We are all amazing no matter what size we are. smile

Messtermind Tue 30-Dec-14 20:17:20

Looking more into this sugar thing it's looking more like something I need to read into a little further! Very interesting! Thank you wolfie smile

And you're probably right youllshoot.. I have a habit of being incredibly critical about myself and no, would not talk to a friend the way I talk about myself, thank you very much! smile

TalkinPeace Tue 30-Dec-14 20:20:44

If you can cut right down on sugar
and stick to eating two or three meals a day you'll be 3/4 the way there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now