Talk

Advanced search

Did you start a diet last in Jan 2014? Please come and talk to me... I need help.

(8 Posts)
Newbiecrafter Sat 20-Dec-14 18:51:00

Hello everyone.

So, the last few years I have started a diet in January, lost 10lbs, slowly, and then plateaued and the fallen off the wagon, into a pile of chocolate, crisps etc, and put back on the 10lbs plus some.

Last jean it was the low carb plan. I found it hard going. I didn't exercise as I felt tired all the time. I hit a plateau which was very discouraging, stopped the diet as I was in a 'what's the point, it must be the wrong diet for me' mindset, put about 12 lbs back on and at the moment I am really annoyed and fed up with myself, but still reach for chocolate which makes me feel better. I know.. I'm a weirdo!

So, I wondered if anyone would like to take part in my 'apprentice style market research' and tell me

Which diet you started last Jan?
How much weight have you lost?
Did you exercise at all?
Has the weight stayed off?
Was it 'just a diet' or was it a 'change of lifestyle'?
Are you still on it?
How much did you want to lose at the start and how much have you got left?
Have you found it easy?
What has been the hardest part?
How do you feel now that a year has passed? Better, worse, the same, fed up, inspired?

Depending on the answers I am planning on starting my new way of life, in January. Hopefully I will get beyond the 10lbs this time and you lovely people here will help me feel better both physically and mentally.

Many thanks in advance. I really do need help, but confusion is stopping me doing anything.

SayraT Sun 21-Dec-14 22:29:55

Which diet you started last Jan? BIWIs Low Carb Bootcamp

How much weight have you lost? 31lbs

Did you exercise at all? Yes, I played badminton twice a week and did pole fitness once a week (I did this anyway, didn't add any new exercise).

Has the weight stayed off? Yes, even when I went off track, I actively ate low carb for the 10 week bootcamp then maintained my loss for 6 weeks until the next bootcamp when I lost again then maintained and so on.

Was it 'just a diet' or was it a 'change of lifestyle'? Lifestyle change, when I maintained I don't go back to my old way of eating I just allow myself the occasional day off.

Are you still on it? Yes, at the moment I am allowing myself some treats which I wouldn't have throughout the year like chocolate (milk), sweets, mince pies etc. Will be back on strict BC in January.

How much did you want to lose at the start and how much have you got left? I want to lose about 6 stone, I still have 4 stone to go. I have gone down 2 dress sizes in that time from a 20 to a 16.

Have you found it easy? Yes mostly, some days are hard usually when eating out/at peoples houses. I just eat the food and enjoy it and get back on track the next day.

What has been the hardest part? As above

How do you feel now that a year has passed? Better, worse, the same, fed up, inspired? I feel much happier in myself (I didn't realise that I wasn't happy before), fitter and healthier. My skin and hair are better, I am less tired, I don't get headaches anymore. I feel great and this is the first time in years where I actually think "yes, I can do this".

There will be a new low carb bootcamp starting in January if you want to join us Thread Here we also have a very suppostive thread each week. We currently are just chatting between bootcamps but youd be welcome to join in now and learn more about the WOE Chat Thread Here.

Newbiecrafter Mon 22-Dec-14 22:16:14

Wow, Sayra, thanks so much for replying,

I started on the bootcamp in Jan too, under a different username. I wasn't very good at sticking to it once I bit that plateau.

Congrats on your loss, 31lbs is phenomenal. thanks

Can I ask, what sorts of food did you eat. I especially found breakfast tricky, and lots of meat was hard work.

Xxx

Newbiecrafter Mon 22-Dec-14 22:18:19

I will come and say hello on the new bootcamp thread btw. Thanks for letting me know it starts soon.

I'm still curious to heard from others. I don't want this to be a diet anymore. I need to change how and what I eat, and need the right 'plan' that will become a way of life.

SayraT Tue 23-Dec-14 10:58:13

Thanks, I had hoped to lose more but I am happy with my loss and that I've been able to maintain between times. Good practice for when I get to my goal smile

Breakfast

Eggs (boiled, scrambled, poached, fried, omelette)
Mushrooms
Bacon
Sausages
FF Greek yogurt (with berries after the initial 2 week strict phase)
BPC (bullet proof coffee - coffee with coconut oil, butter and cream)
Coconut porridge (desiccated coconut, ground almonds, coconut milk and cream)
Leftovers from dinner

Lunch

Tuna mayo with lettuce (use lettuce like a wrap)
Salad with chicken/salmon/mackerel/whatever
Vegetable soup
Leftovers from dinner

Dinner

Courgetti spaghetti (courgette made into strips with a julienne peeler or noodles with a spiralizer) with the usual things you would have pasta with:

Carbonara
Bolognese
Chicken and bacon
Etc

CauliRice (cauliflower blitzed into 'rice') with things you would normally have with rice:

Curry
Chilli
Risotto
Etc

Pork chops/lamb/steak/chicken with vegetables
Roast chicken
Celeriac (mashed, chips, dauphinoise) instead of potato

You can make any meal a low carb meal it just takes a bit of practice and we have lots of recipes on the Recipe Thread to give you inspiration.

Desserts

Crumble (made with berries and an almond topping) with cream
Chocolate pots
Whipped cream and berries

I'm sure there are more but I always make crumble, its delicious.

Snacks (after a bit you don't need any)

Babybel
Cheese
Nuts - not too many
Dark (70% +) chocolate - not too much
Nut butters (cashew is my favourite)
Pepperami
Boiled eggs

It is easy to eat LC and once you get used to it eating out is also easier, you just need to ask for what you want. It took me a while to feel confident enough to ask but now that I can its never been a problem.

"Could I have extra veg instead of potatoes please?"

"Could I have cream with my coffee instead of milk?"

Hope this all helps smile

NickiFury Tue 23-Dec-14 11:02:30

I did and have lost 16 pounds. I want to lose another five or six then I am done at which point I will be 8 stone 10. My optimum weight, size 8/10

I just cut back calories to no more that 1200 a day, exercised for at least fifty minutes a day, usually after kids have gone to bed and walk everywhere.

I watch what I eat every day, but at least one day a week eat and drink what I want though never to excess, I just don't feel like I want to. My body doesn't want to. The three weeks are the hardest then you start to see changed and want to maintain them.

NickiFury Tue 23-Dec-14 11:03:12

The first three weeks are the hardest.

Newbiecrafter Tue 23-Dec-14 11:49:28

Thanks NickiFury.

Calorie counting is difficult so you've done really well.

Loving ALL the yummy food options on SayraT's reply. I'm thinking that might be the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now