Talk

Advanced search

Weight control whilst pregnant

(5 Posts)
Guyropes Fri 19-Dec-14 20:39:09

Hello!

I have just discovered my bmi is 29.

I am pregnant (1st trimester).

I've been looking online but I can't find any weight control advice for pregnant people.

Has anyone got any links or useful information?

kaykayred Fri 19-Dec-14 21:50:23

This is something that you really need to speak to your mid wife about. 29 seems to be the threshold between overweight and obese, so it may be something that she actively raises with you when you see her.

Overall, the advice is to put on less weight during the pregnancy when you are a higher BMI. You can't really "diet" per se, as your body needs the nutrition. However, what you can do is completely change what you eat and how much. I've heard women say it's helpful to think of whatever you eating going directly into the baby growing - it helps to eat healthy, nutritious foods instead of junk (I'm just going on what I've heard!)

Also regular exercise is very much recommended during pregnancy. You aren't going to be able to do anything very intense as you have to mind your heart rate and ESPECIALLY over heating. However, things like long walks, or gentle, low impact workouts and things like that will still help.

Really, the best person to advise you though will be the midwife, as very few people on here will be medically qualified to offer any advice.

Guyropes Fri 19-Dec-14 22:47:11

Hi kaykayred, thanks for the input. I will speak to the midwives about it, but in the meantime, I was hoping I might not be the only one in this situation and that there might be some sources of information.

I am managing to eat quality food at the moment, and not interested in dieting as such. I guess I can work towards eating smaller portions... I found this quite easy in previous pg, as stomach is restricted for space!

And regular excercise. I was cycling regularly before, but struggling with nausea and dizziness so sticking to walking now.

CadiM Sat 20-Dec-14 13:37:30

There is a website called BabyFit, which is an off-shoot of SparkPeople (an American based fitness / nutrition website) which I've found helpful in the past. Also, slimming world has some advice tailored for pregnancy.

I agree with kaykayred's advice and exercising is important but it is really common for your exercise tolerance to be really poor in the 1st trimester. Walking is great exercise.

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 21:02:07

do not eat for two
do not snack
up the fruit and veg
up the protein
drop the sugar

in fact eat like a slim healthy pregnant person

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now