Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got an easy diet I can follow?

(36 Posts)
Karbea Tue 16-Dec-14 19:00:32

I need to loose about 4kg, I know this isn't much but I'm only short so this little bit of extra weight really shows.

I live with dh who has terrible food habits, loves takeaways, processed foods, chocolate, sweets etc, but tends to buy them and I eat them.

I've no self control with sweets, if it's in the house I'll eat it.

I work in a supermarket often from 6am to late so I've access to all food, but mostly it's stuff I can either eat cold or cook in a microwave, the canteen isn't very healthy.

Tonight I've come home from work (after eating lots of sweets) and eaten a whole share bag of mint aero balls to myself (About 600 calories).

Please can someone help me...

GoldenKelpie Tue 16-Dec-14 19:25:13

In a nutshell, eat less, move more.

Karbea Tue 16-Dec-14 19:35:54

I'm on my feet all day, lifting, moving around.
If I eat less, I end up binging big time at about 5 o'clock I seriously can't help myself.
I track my weight and can see overtime I'm slowly getting heavier and heavier sad

kaykayblue Tue 16-Dec-14 20:10:02

Figure out what your BMR is. There are lots of websites which will do the calculations for you.

Then work out how much weight you would like to lose, and a realistic time frame for doing so. So if you want to lose a pound a week, you have to eat 500 less calories than you need a day. But if you are happy to take your time, then you only need to cut 250 calories from your BMR to lose 0.5 pounds a week. That might be more realistic for you if you are new to dieting.

On the motivation front, I'm afraid that's something that noone but you can help with. If you can't help but eat sweets, then don't buy them. If your partner buys them, tell him he needs to start keeping them somewhere that you don't know about, or at work where you can't get to them.

Look at the food you eat, and work out if it's good quality food. Shift work can be an absolute bitch because you don't get a chance to snack (even very healthily) between meals, so hunger can be a pain. You need to start eating healthy but satisfying meals. If that means having to make lunch the night before and bring it to work with you then do it.

If there's any way that you can't start taking control of the food shop, then do it, and just don't buy the crappy pizzas and whatnot.

Some people use websites where you track everything you eat, and it gives you the calories for those foods. It might be a bit of an eye opener for you.

Cutting alcohol intake is one of the easiest ways of cutting calories. A small glass of wine has nearly 100 calories in it.

Why were you eating sweets at work? If you've got access to the supermarket then try eating a small banana instead of chocolate. It will be more filling, keep you full for longer, and is obviously much lower in fat and calories.

You could also try keeping an apple of pear spare, so you have something to eat directly after your shift finishes, so you don't have to endure the full hunger until you get home, and are therefore less inclined to stuff yourself

Cherrychocolate Tue 16-Dec-14 20:16:19

I follow the 5:2 lifestyle, and it has changed my life. I lost 2.5st over 7 months, and have now kept it off for a year.

You eat 500cals 2 days per week, and eat normally the other 5 days. I stuck to 2000 cals on my 'eating' days and lost very well. I am now maintaining, and I still fast 2 days, but on other days have whatever I want, and I find it hard to gain the weight back.

This has worked for ALOT of people.

TalkinPeace Tue 16-Dec-14 21:16:34

you HAVE to cut out the sweets as they are making you hungry

if you have to munch, make it be dried fruit or nuts or seeds

start with that and then read around these boards

oh yeah,
and try to give up all snacking : 2 or 3 meals a day is all anybody other than an athlete in training needs

kaykayblue Wed 17-Dec-14 10:13:05

cherrychocolate - I really don't think that 5:2 is going to work for the OP if she is at a job that requires physical lifting and the like. 500 calories is okay if you have a sedentary job and are quite short, but otherwise...

She'd only be able to do her 500 cal days at the weekend, and you aren't supposed to do them back to back.

Mrsgrumble Wed 17-Dec-14 10:17:10

I sympathise. I get into a rut of eating sweets and this is where the gain is coming from

I would change to boiled eggs for breakfast.
Have one slice of bread at lunch and lots of fresh ham, banana
Stir fry in the evening or fish or chicken
Allow for ONE treat. One small glass of red, one treat bar (but don't if you think it will lead to more)

TalkinPeace Wed 17-Dec-14 11:24:51

kaykay
500 calories is okay if you have a sedentary job and are quite short, but otherwise...
What on earth gives you that idea?

Lots of us work out and do exercise in a fasted state - its a really good method for resetting the system
I go to the gym every morning having not eaten for over 12 hours - as do many others at the gym - with no ill effects for many years.

Wolfiefan Wed 17-Dec-14 11:32:46

A diet won't work long term. You need to change your diet.
Take food to work with you so you are not tempted by crap. Ideally your DH would also make changes.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Wed 17-Dec-14 12:20:28

I also go to the gym on a morning having not eaten since the previous evening. It works out that its usually 14 hours after eating that I hit the gym. I actually find myself more hungry the more sedentary I am. I find it easier to eat less if I am active.

Iamblossom Wed 17-Dec-14 12:23:36

Eat Less Move More is NOT helpful. It does not work.

I would suggest cutting out carbs after mid morning, and cutting out all sugar altogether. It's tough for the first week but after that your cravings will dissipate.

Eat more protein so you don't get hungry. Do not scrimp on portions just eat healthier food.

I can give you a meal plan if you like.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Wed 17-Dec-14 12:28:50

Eat Less Move More is NOT helpful. It does not work.

It is for me. Since Mid October I have stopped snacking and made a conscious effort in working out and have lost 10lbs that way. I still eat Pasta or potato in one form or other for most evening meals.

For me, not allowing myself anything is really hard as I just crave it more. I personally find it much easier to allow myself what I want, but only have it once I am actually hungry.

Fourarmsv2 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:45:46

I love the Harcombe diet - I do a high fat low carb version. Check out the low carb bootcamp threads on here.

kaykayblue Wed 17-Dec-14 13:17:07

Talkinpeace - I'm not saying that the 5:2 diet is some sort of sham if that's what you're upset about. There's a big difference between going to the gym in the mornings without having eaten (for what? 40 minutes? Max one hour?) and spending the entire day lifting things, not being still and generally burning up calories.

It's also - in my personal view - a very bizarre figure for the creators of the diet to just pluck out of thin air. If someone is tall and has a bmr of say, 2000 calories, then 500 is dangerously low.

I've had friends who the 5:2 diet has worked really, really well for, and I would never deny that it can work for some people. But I've also had friends who have fainted dead out on the way to a meeting because the 500 calories was so woefully insufficient for their height and weight.

So whilst acknowledging that it can be an effective diet for some, let's not pretend that it's some panacea weight loss programme that works for everybody.

Iamblossom - Of COURSE "eat less move more" works. Calorie deficit = weight loss. That's all there is too it. It's not particularly helpful from a dieters perspective maybe, as it doesn't give any insight as to how to actually go about it.

Iamblossom Wed 17-Dec-14 13:44:48

I agree with Zoe on this

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 17-Dec-14 13:51:23

Of course eat less move more works. I did it and so have many other people hmm

Missushb Wed 17-Dec-14 15:56:31

could I have a meal plan iamblossom? I too am at a loss and so confused with all the different advise that is out there!

Karbea Wed 17-Dec-14 15:59:59

I know the fasting diet works for some but I don't really want to do it.
I can't cook boiled eggs at work so that doesn't really work during the week but great for Sundays.
I started work at 6 today and had about 4 Polos as I was too busy to have a proper break. At 11:30 I had 2 ham, thick white bread and butter sandwiches. Nothing apart from a coffee this afternoon. Dh is cooking tonight I've asked him to try and do something less carb centric as I had 4 thick slices for lunch ;/

Missushb Wed 17-Dec-14 16:00:03

Advice, not advise. :-)

FuckyNellItsChristmas Wed 17-Dec-14 16:02:57

Me too please blossom smile

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Wed 17-Dec-14 16:05:11

I know the fasting diet works for some but I don't really want to do it

I feel the same way about low carbing. Yes it works for some, but its not what I want to do. I like Pasta far too much.

TalkinPeace Wed 17-Dec-14 16:10:29

Kaykay
IF is not a weight loss programme. You need to read up a lot more before spouting off on it.

Karbea Wed 17-Dec-14 18:04:33

I've had two slices of toast this afternoon rather than sweets/crisps which isn't brilliant but a tad better.
Dinner tonight is tuna steaks, veg and sweet potato chips.

specialsubject Wed 17-Dec-14 18:11:52

stop troughing sweets.

Eat less move more does work. Basic science.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now