Talk

Advanced search

turning the corner and not looking back - did you have a 'lightbulb' moment?

(2 Posts)
workatemylife Mon 15-Dec-14 21:31:17

I started a thread here in August called 'turn the corner and don't look back'; I had realised how much weight had been creeping on through bad eating habits, and wanted some support to make that realisation one of those moments where you embark on a new path. What I wanted to be was slimmer and happier for Christmas, and I realise that those four months have passed. So how has it been for you, if you wanted to do the same?

For me, hand on heart, not easy. I had a great couple of weeks in August, then lost momentum a little in September after the end of the holidays. October was better, but then I had a rather cake-filled half term! It took a while to get out of the old habits, but since October I've been a lot more controlled - eating less at mealtimes, having occasional treats rather than entire bags of unhealthy food, and generally making better choices. As a result, actually, the temptation to guzzle has been a lot less frequent. I realise now that for the last few weeks I've gone grocery shopping and not chucked a couple of packs of biscuits / cakes in the trolley. I visit the corner shop for milk, stamps, etc, and don't reach for a choccie bar out of habit. Out of choice, sometimes, maybe. But I'm better at eating when I'm hungry rather than simply because the food is there. A smaller portion of pasta with a big bowl of salad is as satisfying as a massive bowl of pasta. So maybe I have managed to turn the corner and start to establish better habits.

Christmas will be tougher - I refuse to say no to all the yummy things on offer, but I need to make sure that a week of indulgence is just a week, and not the start of another cycle of bad habits. It has got to the point though where I start to feel a bit bleugh if I overeat, so maybe I've learned to self-limit a bit better. We'll see. Anyway, I thought I would check in with anyone from the initial discussion who is still around, and see how everyone is doing. I hope we're all feeling like progress has been made.

One more incentive to keep at it - I bought a skirt in the summer, from Ebay, in the size that I thought I was. It wouldn't do up across my hips and belly. blush But guess what I wore to Sunday lunch with friends yesterday fgrin. And that should be motivation for me, if nothing else!

Enlli Tue 16-Dec-14 23:57:31

Well done "Work" success is definitely effectively measurable by a skirt that didn't fit now fitting. Yay! I think the way you have lost weight is the most effective way. Just being mindful and cutting down. Sounds good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now