Talk

Advanced search

god i feel disgusting, im embarassed to see people. warning long moan post!

(10 Posts)
silverandblack Tue 09-Dec-14 12:35:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverandblack Tue 09-Dec-14 12:41:43

AimlesslyPurposeful Tue 09-Dec-14 12:51:08

I'm sorry you feel like this. Pregnancy does change your body and most women do gain weight - often more than they expect.

Now isn't the time to worry about it though and it certainly doesn't matter what your in laws think!

Try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and leave the weight worries for a while. Once the baby comes you can get out for walks with them in their buggy and sort out a healthy eating plan.

When you do decide to tackle your weight do it slowly. I worried about my weight during DS3s pregnancy and wouldn't eat some days. I pretty much stopped eating after DS was born and lost most of my hair along with the extra stone or so. I didn't enjoy DS being a baby as I obsessed about my body. With hindsight I'm so cross with myself as it should have been a lovely time full of memories of DSs firsts but I just fixated on my weight. Please don't do the same.

nottheOP Tue 09-Dec-14 12:55:24

I put on just under 2 stone when I was pregnant and lost it within 3 weeks. Like you say, a stone is baby and placenta but then there is also water weight etc.

I lost further weight when I returned to work and was walking to nursery (30 mins each way)

I did BF for six weeks. It does burn a lot of calories but it also makes people very very hungry so you'll have to see how you go.

Try not to take the 'you're massive' comments on board. There aren't many full term women who don't get told this.

Even though I lost the weight quickly, my shape didn't ping back and I felt a bit low about my body. The best way to counter this is to be grateful for what your body has done... you have grown and nurtured your baby for 9 months and are very lucky and privileged to have been able to do so. Lots of women don't get this opportunity.

munchkin2902 Tue 09-Dec-14 13:00:01

I've put on loads too. I was a size ten before and after I think I'll be at least a 14 and will need new clothes! Double chin, thighs rubbing together - got it all! And that's not mentioning horrendous stretch marks.

I cycled to work too and did endurance walks - so thinking of going out for lots of long walks when baby arrives to get things moving, then hopefully getting back into jogging at least three times a week. Figured it would be good to get time to myself too. Oh and hoping breast feeding will help!! (One of the main reasons I'm planning to do it to be brutally honest!)

silverandblack Tue 09-Dec-14 13:16:41

gonegrey56 Tue 09-Dec-14 22:18:56

You will be fine I promise . Don't be so hard on yourself . You are carrying a precious child, and that gives you super status . You have been given wise advice from others , do take it and get back to gentle walks when you are up to it . A daily pram push helped me shed the weight I gained when pregnant , and breast feeding helped too (just watch that you don't drink too many calories , you need more fluid than normal so stick to water or herbal teas etc) . Very best of luck for the birth and please be kinder to yourself !

toffeeboffin Wed 10-Dec-14 14:07:07

I gained even more than you, 50 pounds in total, so well over three stones. Back fat, huge arms, etc thought I'd never lose it, but trust me, once you are running around after your little one, it will drop off you. After 4 months I was back to my normal weight, you never stop when you have a baby, the extra activity makes a massive difference. I'm lighter than before I got pregnant! smile

toffeeboffin Wed 10-Dec-14 14:10:10

Sorry, forgot to mention breastfeeding, I only did six weeks, do not sure if it helped. What helped was moving more and watching carbs, I. E one slice of toast and an egg, instead of two slices of toast. Don't worry, you'll easily get back to normal and be a hot Mama! grin

bakingtins Thu 18-Dec-14 13:59:17

silver don't let worries about your body blight the last bit of your pregnancy and the first precious days with a new baby. This is the biggest change your body will ever go through and it's not realistic to expect it to ping back into shape immediately. 9 months on, 9 months off is more like reality. In truth everyone will be so focussed on the fantastic human being you have grown that they will not be thinking about what you look like. If your husband thinks you are anything other than amazing after he sees you give birth to his child he is an arse.
I was on steroids in my third pregnancy and gained a lot - I didn't actually weigh myself towards the end, but 6 weeks post partum, without all the baby, placenta, fluid etc I was 2.5 stone above my happy weight. It's gone gradually, I breastfeed which helps (about 500 cals of energy expended per day - will lose you about a pound a week if you just stick to your normal calorie requirement) walk a lot with the buggy and after about 4 months started exercising to tone up. 7 months in I feel pretty good about myself.
Breastfeeding does make you hungry/thirsty - try to have healthy snacks on hand, eat more frequent small meals if that helps and drink plenty of water. It's pretty easy to eat 500 cals of cake every day - a lot of mum and baby activities seem to revolve around cake....
My advice is to buy some nice clothes for yourself, even if they are a bigger size than usual, rather than be stuck in maternity stuff because your old clothes don't fit, and do the other things that make you feel good (haircut, nails, massage etc) Get your DH on board to give you time to pamper yourself, and once you feel up to it, time to exercise.
Congratulations on your impending arrival!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now