Talk

Advanced search

Skinny Bitch - not quite a diet but it's been life changing

(5 Posts)
claphamnevey Mon 01-Dec-14 15:33:49

Skinny Bitch was a total revelation for me.

I've changed my eating habits based on the book and have been prompted to evaluate lots of peripheral issues surrounding my eating including the ethics of my choices.

Most importantly for anyone who is miserably pursuing a restrictive diet out there, you get to eat anything you like as long as it's not animal based or from animals - yes, the dreaded and sanctimonious VEGAN word. But whatever, I started it after a week in southern Spain of solomillos and pescado and gambas and all of that good tasty stuff but having crossed over to the dark side and losing 3 stone effortlessly since MAY! I couldn't go back.

Would just suggest anyone out there thinking about improving their health to consider it.

Asthma and hayfever also gone for good with no sign of my thrice annual chest infection yet (touch wood!!!).

PS
IF you're actually genuinely curious about this sort of change also read "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran-Foer and am part way through "The Ethics of What We Eat" by Singer (hadn't read him since uni and this book is much more accessible than his other stuff so you won't be tired by it after a day's work) and Mason: I feel like a willfully ignorant idiot for not considering my eating habits before now.

Neither of those books is a pamphlet for veganism as they also evaluate meat eating/best practice of purchasing healthy/antibiotic free meat so regardless worth educating yourself!

China Study is next on my agenda- anyone read that?

Anyone have further recommendations for me to educate myself.

Trenzalor Wed 03-Dec-14 19:02:51

Oo thanks. I've added it to my reading list. I'm currently on The Gabriel Method after reading Sweet Poison and have Pure White and Deadly ready to go!

tb Thu 04-Dec-14 20:30:50

About sugar, there's also "Fat chance:The truth about sugar" by Robert Lustig who is paediatric endocrinologist.

It's a very interesting book, and perhaps illustrates why the obesity epidemic has spread outwards from the US, following US eating habits around the world.

WaitingForMe Thu 04-Dec-14 20:37:35

Skinny Bitch is absolutely a pamphlet for veganism. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but don't deny what it is.

BIWI Thu 04-Dec-14 20:41:10

Hmm. Two posts about the same thing in a very short space of time. You wouldn't by any chance be trying to advertise would you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now