Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of quitting sugar - has anyone successfully done this?

(9 Posts)
Trenzalor Sat 29-Nov-14 16:22:56

I'm a complete sugar junky and it has to stop! What worked for you? What do I need to watch out for?

LaconicIcon Sun 30-Nov-14 16:19:23

Following with interest.
I practically live on sugar. I'm ashamed to say there are weeks when I eat no real food whatsoever.

McSqueezy Sun 30-Nov-14 16:28:17

What helped me is in part vanity - sugar apparently ages your skin, breaking down collagen, eek! - And also switching to natural sugars wherever possible.

So if I'm in desperate need of a sugar hit, I'll have a bunch of grapes, some apple juice or even a cup of tea (I take 3 sugars grin ). I find that usually helps to ward off the cravings.

I do still buy biscuits and chocolate every now and then, but try not to make it a regular thing. I have noticed in my case, the more sweet things I buy the more I want, so just not giving into temptation to start with also helps.

waddleandtoddle Sun 30-Nov-14 16:38:30

It's horrible! I quit sugar and after a week everything smelt of sugar - noticably bread! Hard work to start, a few craving headaches and then after that the results are amazing - up early easily, clear skin, less bloating etc etc. I just have the odd biscuit or chocolate now as that's enough.

Trenzalor Wed 03-Dec-14 19:04:14

Day two. I'm not at all hungry and am well within my calories per day, but the need for sugar really kicks in during the evening - even though I'm not hungry!

Trenzalor Wed 03-Dec-14 19:05:07

Oops that should be day three!

I've got a Yule log arriving next week that I ordered ages ago... Hmm. What to do?

GodReastieMerryGentlemen Thu 04-Dec-14 18:31:25

Yes I've been sugar free since August and feel so much better. I don't eat anything with any added sugar (which is harder than it sounds) or sweeteners or juice but I do have fruit and some dried fruit. I don't miss it that much tbh . I do often fancy something sweet but I don't crave it in the same way. It was really tough initially though and I got terrible aches and pains but they lasted less than2 weeks.

HennaFlare Thu 04-Dec-14 18:39:56

Been sugar free for two years. It has changed everything about my body. Notably, I was only successfully able to do this as part of a ketogenic diet. I can't handle starchy veg or grain at all. if I had them, I craved sugar.

Trenzalor Thu 04-Dec-14 19:27:40

All good stuff. Day 4 completed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now