Talk

Advanced search

Does it matter if your biggest meal is in the evening?

(22 Posts)
Namedilemma Fri 28-Nov-14 13:28:19

I know it's supposed to, but does it really?

Am losing weight at the moment post-baby and doing fine - 6lbs in the last month. And I'm doing it the way I've always done it which is essentially: more exercise and less food. But the only way I can cope with doing this is to eat a tiny breakfast (am never hungry in the morning so that's fine), a sensible small lunch and then a normal big dinner - usually something pretty healthy but I often have seconds if I want them and always includes carbs of some variety.

No puddings/chocolate at all as these are my real weakness and I drink very little anyway so no problems there.

So my question is: does it matter that my big meal is in the evening or is total input vs output the only important thing?

TalkinPeace Sun 30-Nov-14 19:57:00

no, it does not matter

TywysogesGymraeg Sun 30-Nov-14 21:01:21

It's the number of calories you eat that matters, not when you eat them.
You just need to use up more calories than you consume.

sunflower49 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:02:55

I agree, I don't think it matters.

raftunchin Mon 01-Dec-14 08:52:13

Yes, i think what matters is the number of calories. Since you said that you are eating pretty healthy, then I think you don't have to worry.

tobysmum77 Fri 05-Dec-14 07:56:47

if what you are saying is that you are really hungry all day and then finally break and eat a massive (albeit nutritious) meal then I think it does matter. You can't live life hungry and you will fall off the wagon.

If that's not the case and you really are happy with this then it doesn't matter, no. Everyone is different.

LadyintheRadiator Fri 05-Dec-14 08:02:16

I don't think it matters either, I lost a lot of weight after my DD and the only thing that kept me going a lot of the time was looking forward to a good dinner - I never felt like straying off course at breakfast and lunch that way.

Namedilemma Sun 07-Dec-14 11:55:54

Thanks all. No Tobysmum I'm not hungry all day, I'm fine. I'm interested in the other thread about skipping breakfast as I'm also never hungry at breakfast and force myself to eat something small, then am quite happy eating a small lunch but I do get hungry by evening - hence big meal.

woollytights Mon 08-Dec-14 09:19:02

Ive lost 5 stone this year by doing pretty much what youve described

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 08-Dec-14 09:40:21

I dont think it matters. Ive lost weight in the way you've described before. After a bad year Im trying again as it worked before (I only put on weight again as I injured myself so did no exercise and as I was having such a shit time at work I also ate a lot of cake - whoops)

Namedilemma Mon 08-Dec-14 12:56:21

Well done woollytights, that's amazing!

VeganCow Mon 08-Dec-14 13:13:39

No it doesnt matter. Its what you eat over time that matters, ie calories in vs calories out, so over 24 hours, or even 7 days.
I eat 4 slices of bread every day and if I had to low carb I would last a week and give up.

Have lost 2 stone in 4 months by having the biggest meal in the evening.

Breakfast ( 2 slices wholemeal or seeded toast with marmalade or marmite), then lunch is either 2 slices wholemeal or seeded bread with hummous and salad, or toasted with baked beans or made into bean toastie,

then evening meal of some examples:

veggie spag bol (with 70g dry weight wholewheat spaghetti) and mixed salad
chilli n rice (70g dry weight rice) with mixed salad
vegetable and chickpea curry n rice
large baked spud with hummous or baked beans and loads of salad, toms, cucumber, onion,
2 veggie sausage, 200g (raw weight potatoes) chips with fry light and done in Actifry with peas, soya beans, sweetcorn

All followed by an Alpro yogurt every day

I do weigh stuff out all the time and there is no snacking unless very hungry in which case the odd corn/rice cake dry.

hydeparkhottie Mon 08-Dec-14 16:21:00

jumping on. Does Chromium help reduce cravings for sweets?

TalkinPeace Mon 08-Dec-14 16:54:29

not sure how it could ?
supplements should not be necessary for anybody with a balanced diet

hydeparkhottie Tue 09-Dec-14 20:25:16

Nothing about my diet has ever been balanced. sad

TalkinPeace Tue 09-Dec-14 21:48:23

(((( Hydepark ))))
Start by stopping snacks and just eat meals 2 or 3 a day and see where you go from there

hydeparkhottie Thu 11-Dec-14 15:22:43

talkinpeace

smile this sounds like lovely advice. I will try this.

TalkinPeace Thu 11-Dec-14 18:21:47

smile Hydepark Keep the changes simple and manageable until each becomes a habit and your diet will be making you happy in no time.

hydeparkhottie Fri 12-Dec-14 09:48:21

Thanks Talkinpeace I managed to actually only eat meals yesterday. Lets hope I stick to it today. I've been keeping water and tea by myself these last few days to help.

TalkinPeace Fri 12-Dec-14 13:25:36

Yay hydepark
Every successful day is a step forwards.
Every day that goes pear shaped is preparing for the next successful day.
There is no backwards smile

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 12-Dec-14 13:34:46

No it doesn't matter. I did this too

Toothfairy2750 Sat 20-Dec-14 07:20:35

Was told by a hospital dietician that it is the daily cumulative calorific intake that matters , not how you distribute those calories. So doesn't matter if you eat more in the evenings. I had the same problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now