Talk

Advanced search

Should I ask for a fitness tracker?

(16 Posts)
MajesticWhine Tue 11-Nov-14 21:57:49

eg, FitBit Flex or similar, for Christmas or is that just too boring? I do quite enjoy a gadget, but usually when DH gets me exercise related things, I get the huff.
Surely I can think of something more exciting to ask for...?

FanSpamTastic Tue 11-Nov-14 22:03:11

I have a fitbug and though the novelty has worn off a bit I still wear it every day and monitor occasionally.

Weightwatchers have tied up with fitbit and you can link it to your ww online account to earn extra points. I am contemplating converting!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 11-Nov-14 22:06:15

Just to check since I don't know your personal circumstnaces - if you do a lot of walking pushing a buggy, a flex is pretty useless. The wristbands don't do well when your hands don't move in the normal way. Obviously not an issue for most people, but it was for me. smile

MajesticWhine Tue 11-Nov-14 22:17:14

I'm out of buggies now, youngest is 4. How did you find it otherwise though?

wohmum Sat 15-Nov-14 00:13:39

I got a Fitbit one almost 2 years ago and it was/is fab!
I love gadgets and this synced so easily to my phone and MFP . Was really motivating and with instant feedback really encouraged me. I'd go for it

postmanpatscat Sun 16-Nov-14 13:56:09

I also have a Fitbit one and have worn it almost every day for 18 months. Some days the step count just can't be any higher, as life gets in the way, but it is a motivator. I walk to work most days but live really close by so usually average 6-7000 steps.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sun 16-Nov-14 17:07:06

I prefer the fitbit one. I like that it has its own display, so you can see how many steps, how many floors, etc. The flex just has some little lights, so you need your phone (assuming yours is compatible, mine isn't. Ok, it's not that new, but it's still a smartphone).

gonegrey56 Thu 20-Nov-14 16:22:15

Yes do get a Fitbit. I clip it to my bra
each morning. I have lost 20 lbs in the last 18 months since having it. Try to do 10,000 steps per day. It has proved to me that a bit of extra exercise is the key to sustained weight loss. This has worked where other regimes and efforts have failed !

MajesticWhine Thu 20-Nov-14 17:23:04

That sounds good. thanks for the info

AggressiveBunting Fri 21-Nov-14 04:51:45

I also have the flex. It's good for counting steps and I would say that it does tip the balance in favour of "walk" when you see the bus come round the bend just as you decide to do that 2 mile walk to the shops/work so it results in an overall increase in activity- I target 10,000 steps in the course of my day (i.e. excluding actual runs, when I take it off and use my watch instead). You can also use the website to track other forms of exercise such as weight lifting, classes, zumba, etc, and to track weight and food intake to create an overall log of your activity and diet, but you could do that using MFP, so really, all Flex is is a step counter IMO.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Fri 21-Nov-14 04:57:59

Love my fitbit and that's great news weight watchers are using them now. It really encouraged me to walk more until I got sciatica in pregnancy. Baby coming today and as soon as recovered fitbit will be back ok!

gonegrey56 Fri 21-Nov-14 07:50:49

Good luck today with the baby and please let us know how you are getting on ! But be kind to yourself for the first few weeks and take it gently . Fitbits have their place when you are fully recovered .

MajesticWhine Fri 21-Nov-14 09:22:27

Good luck Whenwillwe3meetagain flowers

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sun 23-Nov-14 21:41:12

Thanks baby arrived safely but went from an ELCS to an EMCS but home now and getting used to each other! Won't fitbit until section scar all fine but once all ok this baby is going to be pushed through lots of SW London!

gonegrey56 Mon 24-Nov-14 13:43:43

Brilliant news warmest congratulations! So glad to read of safe delivery . Take care and accept all offers of help!

MajesticWhine Mon 24-Nov-14 22:03:57

Congratulations Whenwillwe3meetagain and hope you have a good recovery. Enjoy resting up with your little one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now