Talk

Advanced search

Recommended books on the psychology of overeating?

(8 Posts)
Saracen Sat 25-Oct-14 23:39:46

So, I've been on the diet for a good many months now and have lost a lot of weight, which is great. But I've done this twice before and each time when I decide I've lost enough, I pretty much go straight back to my old eating habits. Soon I'm back where I started. "Moderation" doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary. I need to find a way to maintain a healthy weight.

Clearly I have to tackle the reasons why I overeat. I still have a long way to go in terms of weight loss, so this seems like a good time to start changing my attitudes. Can you recommend anything for me to read?

PinkyAndTheBump Sun 26-Oct-14 00:00:40

"The end of overeating" And a couple of others. I've got them downstairs. I'll tag this & get the names tomorrow.

Isabeller Sun 26-Oct-14 00:05:44

Gillian Riley 'Beating Overeating' and I think one called 'Ditching Diets'

lucjam Sun 26-Oct-14 03:05:03

There is one by Brian Wansink but can't think of the title.

Saracen Sun 26-Oct-14 08:28:24

Thanks, guys!

Is the Brian Wansink one "Mindless Eating"?

MatildaMay Sun 26-Oct-14 12:51:07

I watched a really inspiring video on YouTube - How to lose weight without losing your mind, a lecture by Dr Doug Lisle. He is a psychologist and author of The Pleasure Trap. What he said really makes sense to me. Definitely worth watching.

lucjam Wed 29-Oct-14 20:33:40

yes saracen that is the one.

dolphin17 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:34:55

Brill book Stop Overeating; A 28 day plan to end emotional eating, written by qualified psychologist and one of us - a normal person who's struggles with weight and emotional overeating, so you get the best of advice from both angles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now