Talk

Advanced search

Lost a lot of weight? Kept it off? Please tell me HOW!

(38 Posts)
Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:00:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scurryfunge Tue 14-Oct-14 00:09:08

I think the trick is to not be obsessive and avoid fad diets. You know ultimately what food is healthy and what is not so good. Everything in moderation and excercise is the key.

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:16:04

hedwig2001 Tue 14-Oct-14 00:16:27

I have lost 2 stone in the last 4 months, using Myfitnesspal. You tell it your details and how much you want to lose. It gives you a calorie allowance.
I log everything I eat. You can scan food barcodes, if you use the app. The up side is you can eat what you want, within reason.
But, if you eat high calorie stuff you will run out of allowance, sooner, so you learn to have healthier things, so you don't go hungry.

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Oct-14 00:18:22

things successful (as in maintained healthy weight for years after losing the excess) dieters have in common national weight control registry

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Oct-14 00:19:48

a lot of them also kept food diaries and ate out only very rarely

scurryfunge Tue 14-Oct-14 00:20:10

If you are generally sticking to healthy eating then maybe you need to up the excercise? I had an excercise phobia for a few years due to a terrible injury and I was too scared to put my body at risk for fear of another injury. I got over that eventually and the weight fell off. What excercise do you do?

WhatsGoingOnEh Tue 14-Oct-14 00:22:38

You need to find early rewards. 3 stone is a bit daunting. Why not set rewards for every tiny step - every 5lbs off?

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:27:14

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:28:27

Pumpkinification Tue 14-Oct-14 00:29:10

Paul McKenna & eating less sugary crap. I lost nearly 4 stone of baby weight in a year. I have put half a stone back on as I've stopped listening to it, need to start again. Generally, I aim for more fibre, more protein, more wholegrains, imclude some healthy fats, but have less sugar, simple /refined carbs, & minimise processed food as much as possible.
I.e., home cooked, healthy, balanced food. The Paul McKenna helps me with my portion size.

Also, you need to sleep more if possible. You will eat more / make poorer food choices when you're sleep deprived, something to do with hormone levels. <again, I need to take my own advice>

<turns off tablet & goes to sleep>

scurryfunge Tue 14-Oct-14 00:33:26

Do you reach for the biscuit tin because the biscuits are already there? I may have it easy but a trip to the shop is an 8 mile round trip. I just don't buy anything that may tempt me and it is a hassle to drive that distance for a Mars Bargrin? Try on line shopping where there is no deviation from meals you have planned. I don't buy the stuff that will tempt me.

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:33:56

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 00:36:23

aNoteToFollowSo Tue 14-Oct-14 08:17:33

Very interesting question - thanks OP.

I am hardly in a position to comment as although I have lost over a stone, I have another stone to go. Still, I have kept off the weight I lost, and so will say what worked for me:

Getting a personal trainer. This is a huge luxury,and not everyone can spare either the time or money involved. So please dont think I am airily recommending this as the way to go. But I did sacrifice a lot else for the personal training sessions. It's a way of outsourcing the discipline, of making sure you show up. Once I started seeing the trainer, then slowly my body started changing, started getting stronger and fitter and more flexible. And so I started to feel better about myself, more respectful of my body and then somehow better eating became much more possible. I used MFP (My Fitness Pal) to log what I was eating, and that helped me to feel in control - and so stay in control. I having two session a week with the trainer, and then added at least one more, often more, by myself. But I had given up on dieting, and had decided to concentrate on what I COULD do, namely exercise and drink water, rather than on what I couldn't do, which was diet. That way round seemed to work for me.

Now I am on the MN lowcarb bootcamp in an effort to lose the last stone. I'm loving it so far. But it's early days. I am generally suspicious of diets but I had to do something to break my sugar addiction.

Good luck OP. Certainly I always reach for something sweet when I am tired so get as much rest as you can and have compassion for yourself in your situation.

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 09:47:40

LadyintheRadiator Tue 14-Oct-14 09:57:40

Weight Watchers helped me to lose the weight, I lost 50lbs and have kept it off for nearly three years now. I could still lose another half a stone, but I am maintaining my weight and staying a size 10/12 without having to worry too much.

I did go to WW for a couple of years after losing it but I don't any more, and I don't subscribe to many of their ways of thinking - lots of foods that are low in points are high in sugar for example. When I was 14 stone I was happy to make those kinds of choices as it worked, but now I am more concerned about the quality of the food I eat.

What works for me now, mostly, is thinking about my long term health - how do I want to feel in general? I know I feel better when my weeks worth of food contains more vegetables and less sugar. I don't always eat how I should... but I don't want to feel guilty anymore, and when I eat badly, I do. I have the odd day or weekend when I completely relax, but just being more aware of how I want to feel means that even then it's not like it would have been three years ago IYSWIM - one bacon sandwich, one bag of maltesers etc - is enough for me to feel like I've had a treat, I don't need to go over the top like I would have done.

And I think about what habits I want to model for my children, so what foods do we have in the house. But it's not easy and even now I might say to myself, right, I have to get these 7lbs off, it's hard to get motivated.

Gorgeously Tue 14-Oct-14 12:26:20

CadiM Tue 14-Oct-14 18:05:26

That link was interesting Mitchy. I lost 5 stone and have maintained for over a year. I exercise nearly everyday (and it's so much easier and enjoyable now), I watch less telly, drink less wine and eat better meals but fewer snacks. I don't get too hung up if I put on a couple of pounds, because I know now that I can work it off again, whereas in the past I would give up and reach for the doughnuts. I like Paul McKenna and he's quite clear that you can't will power it off (I do like his techniques for dealing with cravings). 5:2 also has worked for me.

Mitchy1nge Tue 14-Oct-14 18:14:06

glad you found it interesting, it's a valuable resource, the only one (I think) that tells us how real people actually fare over time

One of the other habits they noted was a tendency for successful dieters to have a quite limited, repetitive diet in maintenance but otherwise everyone lost the original weight using a wide range of approaches like WW low carb paleo blah blah, the actual diet doesn't make much difference 5 years on, it's whatever an individual finds doable I suppose

MeganChips Tue 14-Oct-14 18:15:55

I lost 77lbs with WW and have kept it off for over 6 years.

What worked for me is mainly the realisation that I can't eat what I want. I will always have to watch myself closely because if I eat the way I want to, I'll be back up to 15st in a flash.

On a practical level, I stick to my allowance during the week and make a real effort to eat proper, healthy food and no crap. At the weekends I'm a bit more relaxed but still don't tend to eat much junk. Wine is my downfall!

Exercise doesn't do a great deal for me in terms of actual weight. I feel fitter and healthier but don't fall into the trap of thinking you can eat more if you exercise, it's usually far less calorie wise than you think it will be.

Good luck.

CadiM Tue 14-Oct-14 18:46:41

Ooh! I remembered something else that helped: I got cross. Watching programmes like "The Men Who Made Us Fat" really made me annoyed that I had been giving my hard-earned money to the junk food industry for ill-health in return. I've also got a lot more interested in nutrition and enjoyed reading things like "Fat Chance" but I'm also cautious about fads and "super-foods".

ShowMeTheWonder Tue 14-Oct-14 19:46:33

Gorgeously Wed 15-Oct-14 00:27:20

FavadiCacao Wed 15-Oct-14 09:20:59

I think the most important step is to find a diet that suit you and your life style.
I needed a diet where I didn't have to count anything, as well as being suitable for all of the family with just a few tweaks. At the beginning of my weight loss journey (~35kg loss in total getting closer to 40kg), I eliminated from all cupboards and shopping lists/baskets all my temptations -it so happened that by eliminating flour I covered all bases and then discovered to be gluten intollerant.
Losing weight was the hard part because I had to learn to say no to temptations and cravings; learn how to make good/better choices of food; learn how to cope under stress in a different way (exercise works for me). Maintaining is super easy because I have learnt all of the above: cake is for birthdays and special occasions; biscuits don't fill you up and nor does chocolate; eating rubbish adds to the stress. It's a lot easier to look good (and not stand out) in a size 10-12, than trying to blend in the background in size 22: it makes for greatest motivation to keep the weight off.
I too put the weight on under stress and continue to be under constant stress (ds with multiple SENs)

Exercise helped a lot because it yields quick results, even when you haven't lost a gram you can feel muscle and body changes. Personally I found the 30 day shred demotivational but I love Tracy Anderson; I can do just bits if I haven't got time; I no longer sweat like a pig, so I can exrcise whenever, without having to plan an extra shower and hairstyling session; and if some music is on, I find my self isolating different muscle groups, even when I'm cleaning, cooking, sitting at a desk, etc.

I would also like to add that in the past I have been regular dieter. I tried virtually every diet, from smaller portions to very low carbs/cals, losing a few kgs and then putting double the amount back on until I reached size 22.
I'm not evangalical about any diet, whether faddy or not. I founded to be about what makes me lose the weight right now and learning good nutritional knowledge. Also, I threw, recycled and gave to charity any clothes that were to big, instead of keeping them for the ''just in case I fail''; I only bought a few items for each size on the way down, until I reached my desired size of 10-12 and I went back on a diet the moment the 12 was pinching a tad due to the occasional lapse in judgement.

Sorry for the mammoth post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now