I can't lose weight no matter what I do! Stuck with it for weeks and nothing :-(

(14 Posts)
MsNoakes Tue 20-May-14 11:30:06

So basically for years I fluctuated between 10st 2lbs and 10st 8lbs. Then for reasons I can't work out, I shot up to 10st 12lbs and began to fluctuate between that and 11st 2lbs! All my clothes are now uncomfortable and tight and my honest partner agreed when I asked that yes, I do look heavier lately.

So I started watching what I ate, used my fitness pal to track calories religiously etc yet I never, ever managed to get below 10st 12lbs ever again.

Recently, in desperation (upcoming beach holiday!) I became a total saint, stopped drinking, stuck below my calorie allowance, took up running, yoga and circuit training and even still ... No shift on the scales. I managed to get to 10st 12lbs a few days ago yet almost immediately it shot back up to 11stone! I drink tons of water, don't starve myself,q exercise ... Why can't I lose any weight no matter what I do??? So depressing. I weighed less when I lived off pot noodles and chocolate.

MsNoakes Tue 20-May-14 11:30:43

I'm 33 btw and 5ft 10in.

Tansie Tue 20-May-14 11:57:45

Your BMI, at 11/2 is 22.3.

I wonder whether your body is 'hanging onto' this weight because it's well within the healthy range?

Miggsie Tue 20-May-14 12:07:19

Your weight looks normal for your height and your body has obviously evened out at this weight level, so it probably is a red herring to obsess about your weight as if you have tried everything via calories you probably need a new approach.

If you want to look thinner and more toned I would suggest your forget about your weight and measure yourself, bust, waist and hip and upper thigh, then start some form of resistance exercises and see if you tone up and lose inches. I would suggest a mix of cardio like running a couple of times a week and doing some weight exercises - you can do this at a gym or buy some dumbbells and weight train at home. 3 x 30 minute sessions a week will help tone you up and lose inches. You can eat normally and not go on a calorie restrictive diet.
You can google weight training for women, Nia Shanks has a good site and also google body sculpting for women and you will find some exercises you can do.

fairywoods Tue 20-May-14 12:10:06

Unless you have a very delicate frame, I would say 11st is slim & healthy for 5ft 10in. I know everyone is different and you prefer being lighter but don't beat yourself up. I would imagine you are very near a perfect weight for your height and that's probably why it is so hard to shift those few pounds - after all you're only talking about 6lbs to be at the top end of your 'ideal'.

Try not to feel down, it can lead to weight gain. I lost 2st and then slowly put 6lbs back on. Instead of being kind to myself and not panicking about it, I kept beating myself up and have consequently put on another stone blush. I've been going round in circles, but have set my mind to lose the stone first and then I'll worry about the 6lbs.

Try to put it in perspective, you are doing great with all the exercise! Also, make sure you're eating enough - lots of people say if you eat too little it actually makes it harder to lose.

MooncupGoddess Tue 20-May-14 12:12:22

I think it's normal for one's natural weight to increase a little with age. I've put half a stone on since hitting 30 but like you am still well within the healthy range. So long as your weight isn't increasing further I don't think you should worry too much.

Bindibach Tue 20-May-14 12:15:01

Have you maybe gained muscle which weighs heavier than fat. This does effect what the scales say and I do gain half a stone when I start weight training but my clothes all usually get looser.

KatoPotato Tue 20-May-14 12:18:59

miggsie have you downloaded the NiaShanks awesome programme? Any good? I'm tempted!

prawnypoos Tue 20-May-14 12:37:37

What's your daily diet like? I know I used to be a bread bandit!! White bread and loads of lurpak! But it's brown bread now and 1-2 slices a day, still use butter (I dont like the Crap they put in marg) but only thinly spread! Before I could've been having 2 slices of bread for breakfast (more sometimes and crumpets) the another 2 for a sandwich and dinner time and tea was always something like lasagne with loads of pasta or spag Bol with loads of spaghetti. The carbs can soon add up sad

I didn't think I consumed as many carbs until I saw it in black and white after I'd written it down. But with busy lifestyles, kids, work, running a house sandwiches are a quick hunger fix

KittyandTeal Tue 20-May-14 12:42:51

I've found that once I started circuit training and yoga etc I stopped loosing weight. For me I was a proper weakly before so I starting building muscle. It looked on the scales like nothing was coming off but when I measured myself I'd lost cm on my waist and hips.

Maybe measuring rather than weighing is the way to go.

It sounds like you don't really need to loose weight though

MsNoakes Tue 20-May-14 13:00:09

To be fair I do feel like I look slimmer. My waist, thighs and bum all feel smaller. It sometimes feels weird when I go to itch my hip and it doesn't feel like mine :-D so I guess you're right, it is size more than weight. I too am a proper weakling, I can barely manage 10 press ups on my knees and my legs start to burn after running for a minute. I get tired and achey so quickly I probably am just incredibly out of shape and the increase in weight is muscle developing. I'll ditch the diet and increase the exercise.

Bindibach Tue 20-May-14 19:57:49

Thought so grin

prawnypoos Wed 21-May-14 21:27:25

Yep muscle weighs more than fat BUT takes up less room than fat smile

734hs Sat 03-Sep-16 23:00:41

I am 5ft inch weigh nearly 12stone been told I am obese. I have found out I have an under active thyroid I think it is called. I can not lose weight I used to weigh 8 half stone few years ago. Anyone got any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now